Need help with mean oscar! PLEASE HELP!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hiram1982

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just got home with a about a 5 or 6 inch tiger oscar. Well he doesn't seem to sit too well with my 7 or 8 inch albino oscar. The albino has been picking and biting at him non stop since I got him in the tank. The little guys has already lost quite a few scales to the bigger one. I don't know exactly what to do. Will this stop? Will the big guy just get use to the smaller one until he gets some size on him? I feel sorry for the little one all he does is try to avoid him and but it doesn't work. Any advise would be greatly apperciated!!!! Thanks in advance.

Oscars don't share, even when they are the same size. You probably need one less oscar OR one more tank. (or maybe a really large tank?) How large is the tank they are in?

Just wanted to add I know the albino isn't hungry. When I bought the tiger I also bought about 30 feeder gold fish for him and the albino I introducted the tiger first then the feeders. As usual the albino has been tearing them up! But the tiger hasn't touched a one even though he has had plenty of chances. He's probley just to stressed out with the move and the aggressive albino.

They are currently in a 55 gallon tank. They are the only two fish in there, well them and one pleco he's about 7 inches.

Way to small for 2 oscars... i had 2 in a 125 and the same behavior happened.. you can get a tank divider for now. but it wont help you in the long run. they will bulldoze it over and that will be the end of that. You have one of 2 options.. .get another tank.. to put 1 in.. while keeping your current setup.. or 2 take him back.

PS... And no they wont stop this behavior.. they are setting dominance. and that pecking order will not stop... sometimes you get lucky with oscars.. but its very seldom.

Ok well I have split them up in seperate tanks for now. Do you have any about what would be good tank mates for him in his current setup? I'm still new to this so I am still learning the ropes.

anything that wont fit in his mouth is a good tank mate lol. keep away from any other kinds of cichlids. they are WAY to territorial. Angels are the same way. If you want to, you can add some gauramis.. but keep in mind.. a 55 gallon tank is the bare minimum (some people say 75gallons) to keep a oscar. Mainly because of there eating habbits.. You could also look into bala sharks.. but they will also outgrow that 55 gallon. Id hold off on anything other than possibly plecos or cory cats, until you get a chance to upgrade the tank anyways.

Well the tiger I got could fit in his mouth but that sure didn't stop him. How big do cory cats get?

4-5 inches i believe. most of the bottom feeders are left alone by predators.. i dont understand why myself lol but i guess oscars in peticular dont see them as a posable threat.

Oscars our tough.. dealing with the same problem now.. but fixing to move everyone to a 110..

What about more than 2 Oscars? Would that help with aggression or make it worse? I've seen 5 or 6 in large tanks.. so just asking!

Thanks

4-5 inches i believe. most of the bottom feeders are left alone by predators.. i dont understand why myself lol but i guess oscars in peticular dont see them as a posable threat.

My algae eater holds his/her own.

No one messes with it for long!

Most of the time with cichlids, people will put in multiple cichlids for one purpose... instead of 1 subordanant.. there are 2..3.. to even out the abuse basicly.. most of the time it backfires on them though and the smaller guys will go into hiding.. wont come out for food.. then die from starvation.. it has its advantages and disadvantages in doing it that way.

Oscars our tough.. dealing with the same problem now.. but fixing to move everyone to a 110..

What about more than 2 Oscars? Would that help with aggression or make it worse? I've seen 5 or 6 in large tanks.. so just asking!

Thanks

About you moving them to a 110.. you will still have the same issue.. i had 2 oscars in a 125.. my tiger killed my red oscar. It rarely goes that far.. but my tiger got the red right under the gills and wouldnt let go. most of the time its just a back off bite.. or ramming into the side.. my tiger is evil :uhoh:

Not usually recommended as much either with south american cichlids as opposed to african cichlids. Because most of the SA need more space in general. Even if you do this with either though it still means no body has a much space as they need. As michaelslilgray has pointed out each oscar truly does have thier own personality may not even be happy with an upgraded tank. Either seperate tanks, a larger one, or take him back seem to be your best options.

Thanks everyone.
I appreciate the advice.
I knew what the answer was going to be.. but still grasping at straws...
I guess I could put one in the 110 and the other in my 70.

Ok guys thanks for all the help. I have the two oscars split up, the little guy is doing better. I am going to get him one or two things for the tank he is in now that I didn't have last night when setting him up. I am also going to look for possibly another tank mate for my big albino (not another oscar) Thanks again for all the help.

My oscar doesn't mess with my jack dempsey, firemouth, or convict.

Will that change as the oscar gets bigger?

Their aggression tends to increase when they reach sexual maturity. I can't remember if this is correct or not but I think its around 8 months? Not positive on that part though.

I have another question. Does anyone have any suggestions as far as pellet food? My big guy eats about 30 goldfish a week (which is usually all in one day) the other days I'll drop a few pellets of HBH OSCAR SHOW Health and Color Formula food that he loves. I just got some Tetra Cichlid Jumbo Sticks he seems to like them but the are really messy. I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions as far as pellet food. I have also started getting him a pinky rat which is a baby rat, he LOVES that too.

Back
Top Bottom