New aquarium - new stocking help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AnimalKing

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello Guys,

I am getting a new aquarium and i don't know if these fish can be together:

- iridescent sharks
- Fly River Turtle
- albino pacu
- flowerhorn
- rays
- oscar
- alligator gar
- redtail catfish
- silver arowanas
- knifefish

please answer:fish1:

Last edited by a moderator:
I might be going out on a limb here but I would have to say "no". Unless of course you plan on putting them in a swimming pool sized tank.
I think the record alligator gar in my state is at least 7 feet long and weighs over 200 lbs. Red tailed catfish and irridesent sharks are kept at a local zoo near me. The catfish is 4 feet long and probably 100 lbs. The I. Sharks are nearly 2 feet long and probably at least 20 lbs.
Stranger things have happened, so if you are able to actually pull this unlikely combination of aquatic life together in some type of an aquarium environment, please post it.
Good luck.

No, several not even fit to be in an aquarium. Just about everything you listed needs a LARGE aquarium. No substitute for research before buying.

Hi animal,

Like everyone else said, those get really big. For example, freshwater rays need tanks at 1,000 gallons. Same with arowanna's. Actually, go on youtube and look up King of DIY. He just put together a 1,000 gallon tank with 4 rays, 1 flowerhorn, and one silver arowanna.

First, tell us how big your tank is going to be. That is always a wonderful start.

You would definitely have some predation issues if you combined all those fish.

I would recommend at least a 30ftx10ftx4ft tank with lots of decor setup to break the sight lines and provide hiding places for the smaller fish.

Hi animal,

Like everyone else said, those get really big. For example, freshwater rays need tanks at 1,000 gallons. Same with arowanna's. Actually, go on youtube and look up King of DIY. He just put together a 1,000 gallon tank with 4 rays, 1 flowerhorn, and one silver arowanna.

First, tell us how big your tank is going to be. That is always a wonderful start.

2000 gallons. And he's not done scaping it yet, and the arowana and rays are all juveniles, still.

Most of those fish shouldn't be kept in home aquariums, though. All respect to Joey, he has the ability to make a 2000 gallon aquarium. Most of us don't. And I wouldn't even try and keep a gar.

You will need a really big tank and most of those fish are really territorial and aggressive I would definitely say no unless you can get a really really big tank

If you put these fish together it will be a slaughter, I agree with the others you need a tank of at 1500 or 2000 gallons

Back
Top Bottom