New vs. Used Tank (50-60 gallons)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eah

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm trying to decide whether I should buy a new tank or a used one when I upgrade my 30 gallon. I'm concerned that not knowing the history of the tank could spell disaster for my fish either due to residue of harsh medication or leaks, etc. I have also heard that a fish tank will only last so long -- so if I do get a used one, how many years old would a tank need to be to be considered too old to buy? I understand that there are many factors that come into play here, but I'm just looking for some general advice.

I'd like to hear your opinions on this as I'm very anxious to upgrade to a bigger tank!

I've done both routes and I've never had a problem either way. I have a garage full of used tank that I bought used and plan to use again. An aquarium is just glass and silicone if it doesn't leak you are golden.

well i dont think age is so much a factor. if there is a leak. or a crack. you can usually fix it.
i guess it all depends on the tank.
used is cheaper. but new is somewhat better.
i bought a 20 gallon tank go it home and the bottom inside was cracked.
well its a brand new tank. so u have to be just as careful when u buy new ones.

Ky'smommy said:
but new is somewhat better.

Would you mind elaborating on that point? I'm really interested to know why you think that! :D

I think she just means the obvious. There's virtually no risk in a new tank, and there is some in a used tank. It's just like buying a used car. Walk around and kick the wheels before you buy it. I wouldn't actually kick the glass ;), but if you can get a good look at the tank and inspect it before buying you can usually save yourself a whole load of money.

Most of the time people selling tanks are getting out of the hobby or "just want to get rid of it" so sometimes you can find a steal. I picked up a 90 gallon tank and stand for $50 about 4 weeks ago. The stand is hideous, but I'm going to build a new one. The tank itself looks great. Saved a small fortune on a tank that I probably would have never been able to afford.

yes Jragg told you what i mean.
i bought a 80g tank about 2 -3 years old off my dad and my dad bought it like 3-4 months before i did in all that time my dad just used it (came with the fish) i got it and it looks 100% better. i cleaned it up and redecorated and its super nice. but it also sprung a leak.(no my dad wouldnt sell me a leaking tank and not tell me) but i fixed it and its fine.
with a new tank well you pay probably almost double just for the tank and then u have to buy every. i still agree that if ur looking for a bigger tank for a good deal used is the way to go.
but i would choose a new tank if i had the money then a used one.
i hope that helped.

If you buy from an individual, ask them what fish they kept and how long the tank has been empty. As them why they are selling it, if they don't tell you first. I recently bought a 55g tank and stand from a classified ad in the newspaper and the people told me all about it. It had only been empty a few months. I looked it over and made sure there weren't any cracks. I haven't leak tested it yet, but I plan to this weekend. I'm sure its fine though since it hasn't been empty that long.

You can get great deals on used tanks. Just look it over and get the history, if you can.

I have one new tank and 10 used ones. I find the used ones to be considerably cheaper and you can tell if there is a leak by filling it with water before putting fish in it. Medication residue is not a problem IMO. I get my used tanks from dedicated aquarists and have had no problems.

Back
Top Bottom