new water testr results after pwc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abrahamavelar

Aquarium Advice Addict
well i just did another 50 percent and this are the results

ph 7.6
ammonia 0
nitrites 0
nitrates still 40

i did 50% water change revoved about 15 lbs of sand and added a good ammount of hornwort what can i do

Ive been doin pwc since last week and they only stay the same but I am gonna do another pwc 2morrow also after each pwc I wait about an hour to test the water is that good or should I wait longer

abrahamavelar said:
Ive been doin pwc since last week and they only stay the same but I am gonna do another pwc 2morrow also after each pwc I wait about an hour to test the water is that good or should I wait longer

I'm no expert but an hour should be fine I'd think. Do you have fish or are you fishless cycling?

Have you tested your tap water for nitrates?

Are you using the API kit? If so, bang the test bottles on a table and shake them vigorously for at least 30 seconds and the test tube for a full minute. There is a reagent powder in test tube 2 that can clump and cause false results.

What's your stock? Overstocking could cause the nitrates to climb fast and be hard to control. Other than that, or the test being false, or nitrates in the water (which you said there aren't) I'm not sure....

librarygirl said:
What's your stock? Overstocking could cause the nitrates to climb fast and be hard to control. Other than that, or the test being false, or nitrates in the water (which you said there aren't) I'm not sure....

That's what I was thinking you beat me to it.

Its a 75 gal
1 pleco
1pictus carfish
1 rainbow shark
4 black skirt tetra about an inch long
8 tiger barbs also about an inch long
2 juv 3 spot gourami and
6 platys

Were the nitrates high before you added the sand? Did you take out gravel or something else and replace with sand? I'm wondering if you disturbed old uneaten food and waste that was in the substrate when you changed to sand (if I'm reading correctly). Also try swishing your filter media in old tank water during a water change; sometimes waste can buildup in the filters after a while. And I'd stay away from chemicals. Also are you overfeeding? Extra uneaten food (and the waste too much food causes your fish to produce) could cause high nitrate levels.

No the sand has been there for a while, I had it with my reef then switched to cichlid tank whuch had a rainbow shark a plecus n pictus catfish so I did a big water change 75% pwc and removed lots of rock and.let it run for 2 weeks wit those 3 fish n eveything was good then I added plants and fish.and since then the nitrates been high and I cleaned thw filter last.sat and still high and i just feed them 1 cube of frozen bloodworma and like a little bit of flakes at the same time once a day.

What type of filter do you have? Is it a canister? Do you clean the filter housing often?

But yeah, mathematically if the new water contains zero nitrAtes, a 50% pwc should reduce them by half. I'd give the filter housing a good cleaning, stir up the substrate a bit and do another large water change.

You can clean the filter housing in tap water, just make sure the media stays wet in tank or dechlorinated water.

Ok ill try that, also the test kit its the second time I returned it and got a new one, I also have a uv sterilizer will that be a reason to have high nitrates

abrahamavelar said:
Ok ill try that, also the test kit its the second time I returned it and got a new one, I also have a uv sterilizer will that be a reason to have high nitrates

What type of actual filter is it? Canister? Hang on back? Under gravel filter?

IMO, nitrAtes in the replacement water or false test results have to be the cause. Even if you had a ton of organic debris building them up quickly...fresh water has to bring them down. It's just that simple in my mind.

I'd still do the good filter cleaning (I'm not talking about the media....I'm talking specifically about the actual filter housing) and substrate cleaning. I know they're at 40 now...but I think I remember you telling me they were previously higher. If they really are climbing high quickly there has to be a large buildup or organic debris.

Out of curiosity, why are you using RO water? Are you mixing it with tap water or using it alone?

eco23 said:
What type of actual filter is it? Canister? Hang on back? Under gravel filter?

IMO, nitrAtes in the replacement water or false test results have to be the cause. Even if you had a ton of organic debris building them up quickly...fresh water has to bring them down. It's just that simple in my mind.

I'd still do the good filter cleaning (I'm not talking about the media....I'm talking specifically about the actual filter housing) and substrate cleaning. I know they're at 40 now...but I think I remember you telling me they were previously higher. If they really are climbing high quickly there has to be a large buildup or organic debris.

Out of curiosity, why are you using RO water? Are you mixing it with tap water or using it alone?

My bad I forgot to put the.filter its a canister fluval 404 that runs like a champ, I use ro due that I bought it for my reef n since I have it ive been using it for all my tanks and I dont mix it our tap water its hard or ive been told

Back
Top Bottom