Odd cory behavior? O.O

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pandicorn

Aquarium Advice FINatic
One of my peppered corys has just been sorta floating at the top of the tank. He seems OK, but he's sorta just... IDK, sorta darting around the top. He's not gasping for air or anything... ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401716595.315987.jpg

Please help, his head sorta just floats to the top...ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401717002.588104.jpg then he kinda just wakes up and sorta swims back a bit, then floats back up. All my other cories are still resting and hiding like normal...

Could be a swim bladder issue, they'll dart to the surface periodically but they shouldn't stay top side for more than a second or two..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Do catfish even have swim bladders? Seems kinda counterproductive, you know.... Cause they're catfish... At this point he's kinda freaking me out, one second he looks dead, the next he's flying across the tank...

Yep, they do, at least corys anyways, I'm not sure there is anything that can be done..I have mine in with rams at the same temp and all.is well..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm sorry for your fish. Is it still moving or is it gone?

I'm sorry for your fish. Is it still moving or is it gone?

It's gone :(.'i think it literally had like a stroke or something. I seriously watched it just jerk to the top of the tank and kinda just spaz out...

I had this, I tried everything, I noted it in the "what did you do with your aquarium today thread" somewhere around post 5500

It went on for a few months, there is nothing you can do, believe me I tried everything I could possibly think of until such time that I considered it cruelty.

Sorry.

(Somedays fine, some days mistakenly considered dead)

I had this, I tried everything, I noted it in the "what did you do with your aquarium today thread" somewhere around post 5500

It went on for a few months, there is nothing you can do, believe me I tried everything I could possibly think of until such time that I considered it cruelty.

Sorry.

(Somedays fine, some days mistakenly considered dead)

Thank you [emoji17]... I'm certain he passed, he let me net him and didn't seem to be breathing. If not, I guess better to die relatively quickly...

Sometimes things just die.

Unfortunately yes, better to go quick, that's my personal choice too, quick or maybe peacefully?

The way I deal with this and almost all fish loss, if the fish lived for four or more years for a Cory P, other Cory have a similar live span, that's a good age, they can live for up to 5 but not much more. Obviously I work it out different for each species.
In that time during captivity they are hopefully free from predation, diseases, stress and are fed better and far more regularly than their naturally born cousins. If a fish reaches 75% of it's expected lifespan that's a ripe old age for humans and in most cases the fishes life is far better than in the wild. We all die naturally of something some of us just get older.

As for this Cory case, I know for sure (almost 100%) you will not have been able to anything except prolong this illness? Also I'm fairly sure it is not infectious. My other fish (same sp) showed no symptoms and were not treated, they are fine, alive and well, they went on to breed (accidental) shortly after I removed the sick fish.

Thanks for the thanks. (y)

It's gone :(.'i think it literally had like a stroke or something. I seriously watched it just jerk to the top of the tank and kinda just spaz out...

Just curious, did it act like a dolphin, kind of half jumping backward? This happened to a pleco of mine and I'm wondering if that is what you mean by jerking at the top. My guy didn't make it either. I was unable to figure out what happened. Sorry for your loss.

Just curious, did it act like a dolphin, kind of half jumping backward? This happened to a pleco of mine and I'm wondering if that is what you mean by jerking at the top. My guy didn't make it either. I was unable to figure out what happened. Sorry for your loss.

Oh my that's actually a really good comparison. He just sorta flipped out (haha, depressing puns :/) at the top... I'm sorry for your losses (includes you elephant [emoji17])

My other 4 Cory's and everything else in my tank (Tetras , Danio, GBR) are fine. Like IDK what happened it literally just sorta floated up and died :/

Back
Top Bottom