Ok to freeze flakes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They are medicated flakes, and not sure when I will need them again. I just thought they might keep longer if I froze them.

Medicated flakes. Do you mean flakes with extra garlic?

Freezing flake is ok but if your going to be opening them alot, anything frozen will suck moisture from the air. So unless you have lots of flake freezing might not be the best idea.

What i do is use another smaller pot that i fill with flake when needed and the main pot stays in a draw, cool and in the dark. This way i minimise exposure to the light and the air.

How much flake did you buy?

Ok, these should be refrigerated as it is. I do not know what the shelf life is on this product is but med foods typically are around 6mths under proper conditions. Freezing may extend this to 12mths BUT the potency of the med will steadily decrease with time (whether you freeze it or not). How quickly it degrades depends on a bunch of factors. If it was pure metro (and not mixed with food) and you were able to vac seal it, it may last years in the freezer at extremely cold temps. However, its mixed with a food source and other things such as vitamins, so this will affect how quickly it will degrade and lose its potency. To keep it viable as long as possible, vac seal whatever you want to store it in and triple bag it then put it in the coldest part of your freezer (not on top where foods are constantly exposed to different temps when the door is opened and closed). Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom