Operation: Relocation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scouser

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey all!

Well in T– 6 days I will be moving my tank, not across the room or to another part of the house but 150+ miles.

The trip will take around 4 hours, now I will be taking down the tank last and putting up the tank first but I need some help on transporting my fishies.

Help?!

It depends. What you could do is drain most of the water from the tank and then transport the tank in a truck or so so it's secure. How big is it?

You could also get a large plastic rubber made container and put the fish with tank water in it and put the cover on it but poke some holes in the cover and maybe get a battery powered air pump and stone. The two things you need to worry about are oxygen and water temperature. So you could wrap the the container in blankets.

Its a 17gal, I was thinking the boot of my Gfs car for the tank and the container option for the fish sounds good.

This is gonna be a huge effort I can tell lol

Is it cold there? I'd be most worried about them getting a chill. If they are in the car keep the heater running to keep them warm. Since its such a long way I'd pack them in bags and pack the bags in a box with insulation. Get a battery powered air pump and have an airstone running in a bucket with your filter media.

Mumma.of.two said:
Is it cold there? I'd be most worried about them getting a chill. If they are in the car keep the heater running to keep them warm. Since its such a long way I'd pack them in bags and pack the bags in a box with insulation. Get a battery powered air pump and have an airstone running in a bucket with your filter media.

It's around 10°C here but I'll keep the car toasty for the fish.

As for packing em in a box do you mean like those ones you can get for picnics? That keep stuff warm/cold? I may be able to find one (doubt it though)

Would a plastic storage box full of water and wrapped up be ok? Maybe like a 25 litre box?

As for battery powered air pumps I know for sure I can't get em round here plus all my funds are tied to the move :/

Any ideas how to keep the BB alive?

This looks like I'll be monitoring the Params of the tank for a whole lol

Scouser said:
It's around 10°C here but I'll keep the car toasty for the fish.

As for packing em in a box do you mean like those ones you can get for picnics? That keep stuff warm/cold? I may be able to find one (doubt it though)

Would a plastic storage box full of water and wrapped up be ok? Maybe like a 25 litre box?

As for battery powered air pumps I know for sure I can't get em round here plus all my funds are tied to the move :/

Any ideas how to keep the BB alive?

This looks like I'll be monitoring the Params of the tank for a whole lol

I was thinking like this since it's not just around the block.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articles/articles/129/1/Shipping-Fish-and-Invertebrates/Page1.html
You could pack the media the same as the fish.
Do you have an esky?

Mumma.of.two said:
Rofl!!!! A cooler box you keep beer in! Esky is what we call them here. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esky

Ahhh I thought that's what it was but didn't wanna look foolish :(

Sadly we don't need things to keep our beer cool outside in England lol, I will invest in one for future events though!

Glad it's only a small tank tbh!

Gonna be setting up a new tank once I'm there too :D

Finally joining the MTS crowd! ;)

Scouser said:
Ahhh I thought that's what it was but didn't wanna look foolish :(

Sadly we don't need things to keep our beer cool outside in England lol, I will invest in one for future events though!

Glad it's only a small tank tbh!

Gonna be setting up a new tank once I'm there too :D

Finally joining the MTS crowd! ;)

:)
A cardboard box packed with foam or even news paper will work too.
New tank! Yay! MTS is awesome! Lol

Mumma.of.two said:
:)
A cardboard box packed with foam or even news paper will work too.
New tank! Yay! MTS is awesome! Lol

Well I'm gonna get foam and use the packaging that's led over from huge amazon purchases, have soooo much bubble wrap it's scary lol.

I'll be sure to capture some clips of the move and it can be my next vid for my channel, that's if nothing goes wrong!

Looks like your in good hands here!!! My suggestion would be to use a big cooler (yes, the things you keep beer in!) as well but since you dont use them.... boxes packed with foam/paper sounds like a good idea! I would skip feeding them the day before the move & the day of the move to lessen the ammonia levels in the water they are in for travel. Good luck!!!! :)

Back
Top Bottom