opinion plz!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just for curiousity sake.. i did a ph test on the tap water i use.. it came out to be 7.4 why would my tap water have a lower ph than the tank water?

Dissolved CO2 in water out of the tap will bring down the pH. After the CO2 in the water equilibrates with the air, the CO2 content of the water drops and pH rises.

This is because when CO2 is dissolved in water it forms carbonic acid.

Just for curiousity sake.. i did a ph test on the tap water i use.. it came out to be 7.4 why would my tap water have a lower ph than the tank water?

You have something in your tank boosting the pH is my guess. Do you vacuum your gravel (sand?) when you do a PWC? Rocks that might have a Ca base?

checked out aqadvisor and it said i needed more filtration... could that have anything to do with my ammonia levels?

have never vacummed that tank.. i was told not to do that because it would take out some of the good bacteria i need???

have never vacummed that tank.. i was told not to do that because it would take out some of the good bacteria i need???

Not really. Some bacteria does live in the gravel but most and the ones you really want live in your filter. IMO, that's your pH spike point and a good vacuuming will help a lot.

More filtration is always good. rather than replacing the one you have, add another filter to you system. A good example is my 37g tall, I filter for nearly 100g and never see ammo, even with 3 goldfish.

so- i have these carbon refills.. your saying i should have 2 in my filter?((sorry still learning terminology))

nevermind.. re read what you said.. just buy a whole new filter..and have 2 running at the same time?

so- i have these carbon refills.. your saying i should have 2 in my filter?((sorry still learning terminology))

nevermind.. re read what you said.. just buy a whole new filter..and have 2 running at the same time?

Yep, that's what I (and others here do). I have an AC50 and a Fusion4 on the same tank. Works great, no noise and if I ever have a fish in that tank get ill, I can setup a QT, in about 10 minutes and have it fully cycled.

GREAT! that is so re assuring! Does is matter what kind of filter i have or what kind i buy..as fas as brand..etc..

Mr Limpet is talking about your actual filtration system. You can have 2 separate filters plugged in and running to boost filtration (there's really no such thing as too much). You always want something rated much higher than your actual tank size. For example, I have a 48 gallon and my filter is rated up to 70 gallons. I just ordered a Fluval 405 which is rated for 100 gallons and I'll be running both for a time until the new filter is properly seeded.

Since you're going through a mini cycle, I recommend vacuuming sections of the gravel at a time, and not to do a heavy cleaning of the entire substrate at once. Maybe do a good vac of 25%, then another 25% a couple days later, etc... Since your not adding fish until the mini cycle is over, you don't need to rush too quickly. The vast majority of the beneficial bacteria is in the filter media as Mr Limpet said...but if you're fighting through a mini cycle, I'd still be cautious.

Careful with the carbon filters too...don't listen to the instructions on the box about replacing them. In the FAQ in my sig, it goes over what type of filter media to use, and how often to change it.

thanks! its all starting to make sense..(at least for the moment)
so- recap here.. more filtration...partial subrstrate cleaining.. pwc's ...should these things cure my high ph and ammonia levels?
i have a 20 gallon tank home to 3 ghost cats, 3 mollies(1 who appears preggo) 1 dwarf gourami and 1 adf

my filter is aqeoun. it came with the tank...

thanks! its all starting to make sense..(at least for the moment)
so- recap here.. more filtration...partial subrstrate cleaining.. pwc's ...should these things cure my high ph and ammonia levels?
i have a 20 gallon tank home to 3 ghost cats, 3 mollies(1 who appears preggo) 1 dwarf gourami and 1 adf

my filter is aqeoun. it came with the tank...

I have that same filter and it doesn't get close to filtering for 20g. I'd suggest the AC50, which is good for 20-50g.

ac50 is what brand? where can i get it? and would i use that instead of the one i have or in addition too?

Careful with the carbon filters too...don't listen to the instructions on the box about replacing them. In the FAQ in my sig, it goes over what type of filter media to use, and how often to change it.

Eco is right, but the bad thing about the Aqueon cartridge is that if the carbon itself is left in too long it can start to leech trash back into the tank. When you have a new filter in place (AC50 is a killer filter IMO) and seeded, take the cartridge that's in the Aqueon and make small cuts in the backside of the material and shake/pick the carbon out. Then just rinse the cartridge out in tank water from a PWC. Never rinse any filter media in tap water, you'll kill the bacteria.

well, its appears i have some shopping to do! :) thank you! the fishies thank you too...LOL

Back
Top Bottom