opinion plz!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was checing out the hood of my tank. doesnt look like i could fit 2 filters. suggestions?

missie said:
I was checing out the hood of my tank. doesnt look like i could fit 2 filters. suggestions?

You could just upgrade to one larger one, and keep the current to use for a QT. Just move every single piece of filter media from the old to the new (find a way to jam it in if it doesn't fit) and keep a close eye out for another mini cycle. I wouldn't think there was that much beneficial bacteria on the actual filter housing, but my friend had a mini cycle cause his filter broke and he had to buy a new one.

It's a bit of overkill for a 20 gallon, but if you've got some extra $, look at canister filters. They're the best filtration, so quiet you can't even tell they're on and are great to customize the type of media you have in there.

missie said:

That's odd, I didn't have an issue with the 20g since there's 2 cutouts for filters in the hood (inner/outer). They must have made a change to the design.

Yeah I have two of those aqueon 20 gals and they don't have room for a second HOB without hood modification.

I haven't upgraded..personally I have no issues keeping my water pristine with the provided filters.

I think i will upgrade to a better filter sometime soon... i am noticing now some rapid gill movement in one of the mollies. that must mean my filter isnt good right?

missie said:
I think i will upgrade to a better filter sometime soon... i am noticing now some rapid gill movement in one of the mollies. that must mean my filter isnt good right?

It could mean that the water isn't being oxygenated well enough. Try lowering your water level. If that doesn't work, an airstone saved my fish when my filter wasn't creating enough movement for oxygenation.

Yeah I like to run my tanks full as possible so I run airstones..that is what I would recommend in your situation with the mollies in that tank. I would do an airstone.

i did have my water level higher then usual.. so i took some out.. hopefully that makes a difference..

Yeah when the water is low it should really flow and bubble. I had mine low for a while for my kuhli loaches (they like flow), and at just like one inch lower than usual my other fish were like woooah! So that should help :)

Back
Top Bottom