Opinions and review on SunSun canister filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm glad to hear that! I had always wondered if it could clear green water.

Not saying it did or didnt, just that it's clear now and it wasn't before. These claims have a tendency to start exhaustingly mundane debates which I am absolutely not trying to do here..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've got the 3 pads provided in the basic package deal (media not included) I've added 350 ml of purigen and 500g. Of seachem matrix, I'm going to fit a fluval coarse pad and add a bunch of bio balls, all the fluval media is dirt cheap at petco.
On a side note... i had a major issue with green water a week ago, like the hulk took a leak in my tank green.. this morning it was pretty much crystal clear! Uv a success?!?! Hmmm maybe it's coincidence?? Maybe it does actually do something? I don't know... I'm def happy it's clear though:D

Is that for the 54G tank you mentioned? That's a lot of purigen for that size tank, Seachem recommends only 1ml per gallon. Not that it will do any harm, but you might consider having two containers and swap them out on filter cleaning, so you can recharge without waiting to restart the filter.

Everything I read says bio balls are pretty pointless in canisters. But there's plenty of room inside, so no harm.

If you think it's cheap at petco, find someone selling square yards of it cheap and you may re-evaluate. :cool:

Is that for the 54G tank you mentioned? That's a lot of purigen for that size tank, Seachem recommends only 1ml per gallon. Not that it will do any harm, but you might consider having two containers and swap them out on filter cleaning, so you can recharge without waiting to restart the filter.

Everything I read says bio balls are pretty pointless in canisters. But there's plenty of room inside, so no harm.

If you think it's cheap at petco, find someone selling square yards of it cheap and you may re-evaluate. :cool:

It's for a 30 :/ , i guess it's pretty ridiculous.. I'm going to remove most of it, threw it in to try and clear up whatever was plaguing my tank. The bio balls surely provide a surface for growth?? I've read they are not as effective as the bio max or matrix type media..

It's for a 30 :/ , i guess it's pretty ridiculous.. I'm going to remove most of it, threw it in to try and clear up whatever was plaguing my tank. The bio balls surely provide a surface for growth?? I've read they are not as effective as the bio max or matrix type media..

Sure. But they are pretty flat surfaces and so low surface area in comparison things like matrix. Think plastic block compared to a course sponge of the same size that has lots of nooks and crannies. But there's a huge amount of room, especially for a 30. If you have them no comment; if you are buying them, I just think you'd be better with other choices.

Sure. But they are pretty flat surfaces and so low surface area in comparison things like matrix. Think plastic block compared to a course sponge of the same size that has lots of nooks and crannies. But there's a huge amount of room, especially for a 30. If you have them no comment; if you are buying them, I just think you'd be better with other choices.

I have an ac 70 loaded up too.... I got the cannister more for flow and a means to drive a co2 reactor, i got the bioballs to cram in the co2 reactor, they don't fit so I'm going to cut some in half and put them in the reactor, rest in the cannister and my cat stole a few so she can have those to play with.. hey marineland... your bio balls make a better cat toy than filter media:p

Agreed.

Just in case it hasn't been said.. marineland media fits the sunsun. Course foam anyways.

I checked into that, ended up buying Matrix instead. Might order some for my new tank and give it a shot.

I don't have the canister filter, but I do have the Sun Sun UV Sterilizer, and after my great experience with it, I would certainly buy other Sun Sun equipment when the need arises.

Back
Top Bottom