Optimal acclimation time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

When do you add new fish?

• Immediately after a water change

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • One day after a water change

• Two or more days after a water change

• A few days prior to a water change

• Water changes are not considered

• Total voters
Water changes do not play a part in when we add fish. Normally we add them on Saturday (the only day that we can ever go fish shopping) and do water changes that night (the only day available to do them). Or if an occasional Sunday is open, we may switch days. But I've never considered water changes before when adding fish.

i don't really consider water changes either... because my schedule is so hectic i don't really have a planned out water schedule anyway

I usually try to give the new fishies a few days before I do a water change. Last week though I got some fish on a sunday night (which I rarely do) and did a water change that monday evening. The fish seemed fine so that was a bit of a relief. I try to let the fish settle before I alter the enviroment...:)

I voted for water changes not considered because, for me, it depends on the cicumstance. If I've ordered a fish from online, then I know when it's coming and will perform a water change a day or two prior to it's arrival. Sometimes, though, my fish purchases are spontaneous (saw something I couldn't leave without at the LFS) and I can't always correlate that purchase with any particular water change day. It just sort of happens.

Either way, I do try to hold off on the next water change until the newbie has had a chance to settle in a little (2 or 3 days).

Water changes should have no bearing on when to add new fish. Stop and consider that in a properly maintained aquarium, you are doing pwcs before anything gets out of hand.

Back
Top Bottom