Oscar advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fintique

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 3 inch Oscar in a 55 with a cave setup and some driftwood. I know eventually the deco will have to come out If I decided to keep the 55 his home. Do Oscars need shelter or no? I seen allot of tanks with them just lone with no deco. Whats the scoop?:fish2:

They do not need shelter. The driftwood is good to have in the tank. Are you planning on feeding it live food or fish food because live food can contain parasites if you get them from another store. I believe we all have seen how feeder fish are kept at Lfs. Good luck with your Oscar

Sent from inside my fish tank

They do not need shelter. The driftwood is good to have in the tank. Are you planning on feeding it live food or fish food because live food can contain parasites if you get them from another store. I believe we all have seen how feeder fish are kept at Lfs. Good luck with your Oscar

my Oscar currently has a cave that I built him that he likes to hide in should I take that down and just leave the driftwood in there? I figured they needed a place to hide to feel safe when their juvenile. if I ever did feed them life food I think it would be the fish that I raised myself but right now he just eats frozen live food and cichlid pellets.

When I had an Oscar he had no cave or shelter. Once large he ripped up anything that wasn't tied down. Oscars don't seem to be the shy and retiring type of fish. Great fish but hard to keep the aquarium looking good. The fish is the star!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Once the Oscar gets over 12" long, you'll really need at least a 75 gallon, if you want him to ever turn around. :)

my Oscar currently has a cave that I built him that he likes to hide in should I take that down and just leave the driftwood in there? I figured they needed a place to hide to feel safe when their juvenile. if I ever did feed them life food I think it would be the fish that I raised myself but right now he just eats frozen live food and cichlid pellets.

No you don't not need to get rid of the cave but he might knock it over. If he hasn't yet then he must like it so I would keep it.

Once the Oscar gets over 12" long, you'll really need at least a 75 gallon, if you want him to ever turn around. :)

It really depends on the tanks dimensions not just the size because a 55 is a fine amount for an Oscar.

Just keep the water pristine

It really depends on the tanks dimensions not just the size because a 55 is a fine amount for an Oscar.

Exactly my point. A standard 55 gallon is only 13" deep. (Front to back). Some Oscars can get that long. He won't be very comfortable. 75's have 18" of depth, front to back.

Exactly my point. A standard 55 gallon is only 13" deep. (Front to back). Some Oscars can get that long. He won't be very comfortable. 75's have 18" of depth, front to back.

My 75 is a standard and is 48(L)x18(W)x20(H) easily suitable for an Oscar. I do agree a 55 is a bit small but people have done it anyway. Bigger is almost always better in this hobby :)

Also oscars are messy fish. REALLY messy. Make sure to clean up after he finishes eating. They get messier the bigger they get. So large water changes x2 a week. I'd say x3 since it's only a 55 gallon. Good filtration is a must.

Also you probably have read it, but.. Do not feed your Oscar goldfish. People do it on YouTube but really goldfish can carry parasites and lack in nutritional value.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I have my Oscar an earth worm twice a week as a treat, I teased him once and he jumped out onto the carpet. A bit fluffy but non the worse for his adventure. Didn't stop him jumping but it stopped me teasing him.

Back
Top Bottom