Oscar fish has white spots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dimitri320

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi! 1 week ago I got two small Oscar fish, and now I noticed they have small white spots all over and especially on their fins. Could this be fungus? How best to treat them? They are in a 100g tank with a bunch of other bigger fish, which don't have these spots.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1465590137.155151.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Looks like Ick to me, separate them and get a heater up to 80-83 degrees. This will kill it hopefully

Ok, I can try, but need to buy a new tank for that... Btw, what is Ick?

For how many days should I keep temp at 83 degrees?

At least a week, problem more. The heat kills Ick in its free swimming stage. The cyst are the final stage which you see on fish

Ok, I'll give it a try and will report in a week! You think it will also remove the white spots on my Oscars or only the swimming in the water bacteria?

It will nuke it all hopefully. Ick goes through a cycle. Egg->free swimming ->cyst-> death-> repeat
This is very stressful for the fish though so keep and eye on them

Thanks so much for your advice! This is exactly the decease they have. I'll try the heat and salt method and will report in 2 weeks!!!

I would leave them right where they are. Moving them now won't kill any ich in the tank they're in. Just heat the tank and watch it took about three days for the couple fish I had with it. The rest of the fish in my tank never were bothered. I did not use any salt as I have Clown Loaches and Plecos salt is not good for all fish. I don't think you need it

Raise the temp and vacuum the gravel in open areas some to pick up anything that may have dropped off the fish. I kept my temp up for two weeks then brought it back to normal. Haven't seen any ich again.

Good luck ???

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thanks so much, already 3 days at 83 degrees. So far it hasn't helped, my Oscars are still full of white spots, I hope it will start working soon.....

I've kept my task at 83 degrees for 5 days now, and my Oscars don't seam to get better, but worse. The white spots on them don't go away, but get bigger. I've just now added a fungi medicine, will see what happens tomorrow.

Just wanted to update on my fight against fungi

I've kept my task at 83 degrees for 5 days now, and my Oscars don't seam to get better, but worse. The white spots on them don't go away, but get bigger. I've just now added a fungi medicine, will see what happens tomorrow.

Just wanted to update on my fight against fungi

Increase the aeration as well (eg filter spray bar pointing towards water surface). Both heat and meds will reduce oxygen content in water.

Did that! Fish is looking much much better now!!

Good the hear that it's taking effect. Do water changes more frequent and vacuum some but don't over do it. About 10-15% at a time. Keep the temp p above 86* F for at least 2 weeks after you don't see the spots on the fish. Then start dropping back to normal.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thanks! All fish are totally healthy and fine now!!! Wohoo!

Back
Top Bottom