Overstocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leatherback1

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok,so my 10 gallon tank was fish in cycling for a while (2 guppies) and after a few weeks I added a Cory (name is survivor because when I was a beginner i bought 3 but my water was really bad quality and 2 died.now I am more experienced so none of my fish are dying.I plan on eventually buying 2 more cories because I feel bad that he doesn't have any schooling buddies).then when my parameters were normal again a friend asked me if I could take care of 4 of his small fish for a few weeks.(2 neons 2 black neons)I said sure and added them to my tank.Am I overstocked?Keep in mind that this is only temporarily and I know that a 10 gallon is a bit too small for noens activity level but my tank has many hiding places and is lightly planted.in this current stocking would I be able to add a Nerite snail?
P.S.after the summer if I added 2 more cories and 4 more guppies?neons gone by then
Thank you

Corys are bottom feeders, and with such a small tank there isn't enough floor space to house all those corys.

Neons generally need 20gals as they're quite active fish, I'd say the same for guppies too.

Also your stocking level can be affected by what filtration you have, if you are over filtering (I recommend this in the highest!)

But I'd say with the guppies and the cory group you wanna add you'd be overstocked, but safely overstocked.

A 50-70% pwc will keep the tank in healthy condition.

Corys are bottom feeders, and with such a small tank there isn't enough floor space to house all those corys.

Neons generally need 20gals as they're quite active fish, I'd say the same for guppies too.

Also your stocking level can be affected by what filtration you have, if you are over filtering (I recommend this in the highest!)

But I'd say with the guppies and the cory group you wanna add you'd be overstocked, but safely overstocked.

A 50-70% pwc will keep the tank in healthy condition.

So how about this stocking when I give back the neons in a few weeks:
5 guppies
2 cories
1 Nerite snail(algae is building up and other algae eaters are too big and this snail won't reproduce in freshwater)
I think guppies are fine in a 10g and I know the noens need bigger tank but it is temporary and so far everything looks great

Back
Top Bottom