Overstocked for a 60 Gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

w1kk3d

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So, here's what I have currently:

Glass Cats: 5
Striped Kuhli Loach: 3
Golden Dojo Loach: 1
Freshwater Crabs: 4
Melanotaenia Parva Rainbow: 4
Golden Killifish: 3
Boeseman Rainbow: 5
Dwarf Grourami: 1
Oto: 1

Total: 27

Want to add 5 more Melanotaenia Parva Rainbow's (get 2" max), maybe another Oto and 2 Striped Kuhli Loaches. Too much?

Setup is play sand/flourite mix, planted, driftwood, fluval 405. Thx for the advice!

w1kk3d said:
So, here's what I have currently:

Glass Cats: 5
Striped Kuhli Loach: 3
Golden Dojo Loach: 1
Freshwater Crabs: 4
Melanotaenia Parva Rainbow: 4
Golden Killifish: 3
Boeseman Rainbow: 5
Dwarf Grourami: 1
Oto: 1

Total: 27

Want to add 5 more Melanotaenia Parva Rainbow's (get 2" max), maybe another Oto and 2 Striped Kuhli Loaches. Too much?

Setup is play sand/flourite mix, planted, driftwood, fluval 405. Thx for the advice!

I wouldn't call it overstocked.

What kind of crabs? Most are not fully aquatic and some need brackish.

Thanks for the replies. I was assured by the LFS that the crabs were freshwater and were fully aquatic... Had them for about 3 months with no problems. Had 6 loaches but 3 of them got sucked into my canister filter =/ Wanted 3 Oto's but the LFS only had 1 left and haven't gotten around to getting the other 2.

The problem that I am having is that the guy who I buy my Parva's from has 5 and won't sell me only 2. So, I am willing to purchase the 5 but also want to buy 2 more Oto's and 2 - 3 more loaches as well... I'm worried that I might be close to capacity. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Just because your LFS told you the crabs were aquatic doesn't mean much... Their goal is to sell you fish after all. I've never heard of any crabs that were fully aquatic, they all die within 6 months if not given some place above water that they can retreat to... Also everywhere I've read says crabs tend to eat most fish as they get bigger, especially bottom feeder fish... Move the crabs to their own tank set up specifically to their needs imo and you'll have plenty of room for the other fish you want.

Thanks for the reply but my question is whether or not my setup will allow me to fit a few more fish...

Thanks for the reply but my question is whether or not my setup will allow me to fit a few more fish...

Well, easy answer... Wait for the inevitable "mysterious disappearances" or for the crabs to die off and sure, you can put more in :whistle:

Back
Top Bottom