pacing blue ram

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheChefSLC

Aquarium Advice Regular
2 days ago i took my female blue ram out of my main tank for QT. Yesterday my male started pacing.

today the male is still pacing. He is not flashing and my parameters are good, pH 8, NH4 0, NO2 0, NO3 5, Temp 78 F.

my guppies and tetra's are swimming around normally and do not apepar to be having any issues. The only fish affected is the ram.

Over the past week there have been a couple of changes.

Saturday, removed my 4 female guppies (they get thier own 20L) and added 3 male
Monday, blue rams lost their fry, they took them for a swim near the filter in the back of the tank instead of the front like they did prior days
Monday, removed large driftwood to re-tie plant, driftwood broke and needed to be repaired
tuesday, removed mate for QT
wednessday, added new light for better plant growth, added repaired driftwood.
thursday, removed guppy for QT
today, female dies in QT

What can I do to help the blue ram out?

This issue still persists. And does not appear to be getting any better. However i have found the trigger i think.

Last night i turned off my lights early to see if he would be able to relax, he did but only a bit. I also noticed him gulping air at the top. I added my sponge filter. For some surface agitation.

This morning i manually turned my lights on after turing on my room lights. And did my inspection. The rams color looked normal and he looked to be much better. He went to his driftwood and guarded it like before. I then fed them some bloodworms today and he ate very well.

About 20 minutes later he started pacing again and is starting to lose his color again.

He is the only fish that is having this problem. My 3 guppies and 13 neon tetras are swimming and playing normally.

My tank is A 36 bowfront with a finnex ray2 light and a glass lid. The tank is medium planted. The light is just less than 1 week old

1. Do you think he does not like the amount of light?

2. What can i do to help him?

3. Any other ideas of his issue?

This fish is a survivor. He was my first fish i bought in Oct. He has had his tail munched, placed into a very over crowded 5 gallon with very high nitrates. My current setup was built for him. He really is a beautiful fish that i don't want to lose.

*mods: please move this to the unhealthy fish section

Sent from a phone.

I'd like to add my parameters

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5-10
pH: 8 (best i can do without chemicals till my wife lets me get some co2)
Temp: 76

Sent from a phone.

I don't know what to tell you except sorry you are having the problem. Hope someone will help. What did the female die from, why did you put her in quarentine? The pH seems high? Lots of changes in the tank, ? stress. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I don't know what to tell you except sorry you are having the problem. Hope someone will help. What did the female die from, why did you put her in quarentine? The pH seems high? Lots of changes in the tank, ? stress. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

thanks for your comment, I do agree the pH is a bit high, but it has been this way since day 1. my local water supply has a 7.6 and it goes up to 8.2 after a couple days. Though I am measuring with a liquid kit so interpretation is difficult as we are all aware.

As for the female, she died from a hemorrhage. I am not sure the cause of this, but basically, she has a red spot on her side that was some sort of internal bleeding. I tried to treat with melafix but she did not make it.

I really don't want to setup my QT again since my wife hates when I have it out since there is nowhere to put it. I wonder how the temp would be in my unfinished basement? That could be a great please, isolated and less light.

Where did you get this hardy ram of yours?? I've had no luck with them at all and I'd love to have a pair...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have learned that when they pace back and forth they are bored. Way back when I first set up my tank and didn't know much, I got a single Cory cat. He used to do the same thing because they are schooling fish and he didn't have any others.

I have learned that when they pace back and forth they are bored. Way back when I first set up my tank and didn't know much, I got a single Cory cat. He used to do the same thing because they are schooling fish and he didn't have any others.
I think stressed would be a more fitting title for that behavior;)
Chef.. rams do grow attached to their mates, he will get over the loss, if i were in your shoes I'd get another female for him.. coloration and behavior is always better with the opposite sex around..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Where did you get this hardy ram of yours?? I've had no luck with them at all and I'd love to have a pair...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

PetSmart actually. They are the only ones that sell them in my area. I was hoping to be a "breeder" of some sort with these guys but loosing the female, i just do not really see it happening now, though it could

I think stressed would be a more fitting title for that behavior;)
Chef.. rams do grow attached to their mates, he will get over the loss, if i were in your shoes I'd get another female for him.. coloration and behavior is always better with the opposite sex around..

Brookster, thanks for the comment, basically what you have just said is exactly what I was thinking, and my wife said. I was really shocked that he mated with the female after only having her for just over 2 weeks

I was able to get a new female last night. She was not QT'ed for a few reasons. But my male has stopped pacing, and has all of his color. He is also doing what appears to be mating dances with her. which is kind of funny since he is nearly double her size!

And before yall get started about QT new arrivals. I felt that this fish really needed something to help or he would have died. Also, i have yet to QT any fish from my local petsmart. And my wife would have killed me as well! I rather like keeping my manhood and it surely would have been lost if i would have setup the 5 gallon again. Plus, i have 0 hiding/decor for that tank which just makes it an eye sore.

Once day, i will have my fish room and I will be able to do the right things like QT. but for now, i do what i can...

Sweet! I've not qt ' d much either.. it's a major gamble but I simply don't have the space..glad he's happier!

Back
Top Bottom