Pink water!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Hi there

I wonder if you could help me. I cleaned my fish tank two weekends ago - after - I am ashamed to admit - about 4 months. The water was filthy to say the least. I used a vacumm cleaner thing and removed about 1/3 of the water in total. I then refilled it with fresh water. I tested the PH level - it was about 7.2 - so I adjusted it to 7.0. I put some anti-clorinating agent ( i can't remember the name - Tetra though) in the water, along with some Cycle and some coarse salt. The water was a pinkish colour at that time - I think- due to the uneaten food.

I left the water - I had cleaned out the filter as well- an aquaclear 200 then for the evening. The water has still not gone back to clear - I replaced 25% again this last weekend and took out the amonia media from the filter and put some filter wool. I don't know what to do. The fish seem fine - not stressed or anything - eaten fine. It is just very curious as it has never happened to me before. And pink water isn't really what I want in the tank.

Nothing new has been put into the tank or changed or anything. Any ideas?

PS>> To make water more acidic - is there any househld agent that can be used? Like Bicard can be used for making it alkaline?

Thanks
Shadow.

I honestly can't think of any reason why the water would turn pink. I'd suggest continuing the water changes until it does clear up.

Out of curiosity, why are you trying to adjust the pH?

I don't want to change it right now - but am a bit worried as my PH adjuster kit has finished - and I cannot find any new stuff - it says that it is Sodium Biophosphate on the outside packaging - but I have no clue as to what that really is.

I was planning on continuing water changes until the colour has changed back - just don't want to do too much at once!

Thank you
Shadow :)

Pink. Now that is different! I occasionally have reddish water coming from my taps, but thats due to old pipes (its rust; and no, I never do water changes when it shows up LOL).

I haven't the vaguest idea what it is; maybe adding some activated carbon to your filter will help remove it?

I have carbon in the filter already and as I say it has been like that for 2 weeks now. Very very odd.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom