Platy fin tear or fin rot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SofiaMG

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I began a fish-in cycle on December 26 with 3 platys and 2 swordtail plants. Prior I let water sit with filter running for 9 days. I have 29 gallon tank. I am struggling with my water- ph from tap is higher-7.6. My tank levels off and is consistent at about 8.2. Ammonia this morning was about 0.20, nitrites 0.05, nitrates 20. I did a WC today.

(I have well water that is treated w crushed limerock, calcite softener. KH is about 180, I think. We are looking into RO because we have nitrates in our tap water, about 40 ppm. Just figuring all this out because of fish tank. It feels like a big project). Prior to treat ment our pH of well water has a pH of 6.0.

Anyway, fish have been fine, WCs about every 3-5 days, although this last one was 6 days. This morning I noticed a small ragged spot on the dorsal fin of Jeffrey, and a small tear in his tail fin.

I am new to this forum and new to an aquarium, but am learning, and will be posting more questions but ... Fin tear or fin rot. See video. He moves a lot, not great video but most noticeable first 5 seconds.

Platy fin tear - YouTube

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421689645.143189.jpg

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream.
-Malcolm Muggeridge

(Please excuse background my 5 year old picked out. ?

-Malcolm Muggeridge

I wouldn't worry too much. It's so small that it could be any number of things-- a nip from another fish or a nick from a piece of decor or equipment.

I'd keep an eye on it regularly-- make sure it's not getting worse or that it isn't appearing on any other fins, and that he's swimming/feeding as usual. I wouldn't treat him for anything yet. Best just monitor the situation; if it's just a small tear it should heal up in its own time :)

Thanks, Conall.

-Malcolm Muggeridge

Back
Top Bottom