Platy Fry! HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oriana

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I just checked out my tank and to my surprise I found fry! Neither of my females looked pregnant or had a gravid spot that I saw but none the less here they are! Does anyone have a crash course on what I should do for them/with them? I am researching as fast as I can but any pointers are much appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Tomorrow I would grab a bundle of anacharis or other dense floating plants and put it in your tank. It allows them to hide and to be blunt, the adults will cull the weaker ones. You can feed with crushed flakes or first bites.

If you want to you can get another tank and put them in there but you would have to seed the filter.

Or you can get a cloth or small holed net, net em all up and leave the net in the tank with the opening out of water. This allows them to have good water quality and safety. you can also easily feed them this way.

Livebearer fry are forgiving typically so you should be alright. Don't worry. Any questions you have the community can help with.

Thank you! I think tomorrow I will go searching out some floating plants to add to my tank to help them, I don't have a smaller tank at this moment so I will be keeping them with the adults.

So far I have only seen 2-3 is it likely there will be more/more are hiding?

Should I get something to cover my filter with? I already had to save one from the filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

A sponge (not the dishwasher kind) or clean panty hose to cover the intake would be great. You can go to a shoe store and grab a hose. Or you can grab a sponge while at the fishstore

As for more fry, it is possible.

Just yeah as mentioned add floating plants to encourage survival. Another thing I've done in the past is taken the plant weight off plastic plants and left the plan to float.

Moss will help keep nitrates low and fry will eat micro organisms off of the moss. The same with fast growing plants like anarcharis and hornwort.

Back
Top Bottom