Possible Beta tank and do I need to trim tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wildroseofky

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a heavily planted 10 gallon that I cannot decide what to put in it. The tank is currently housing a couple of small mollies to keep it cycled. I also have one baby ivory mystery snail and lots of ramshorns and Malaysian trumpet snails in there. I saw a pink beta at Petland a few months ago and have been researching them. I am thinking of getting a pink beta if I can find one again. I have been checking out aquabid and thinking about posting in the classifieds. I am not liking the idea of purchasing one from the store when they are kept in such bad conditions. My local place has a few, but no pink ones, and she actually has them in small tanks. I am taking her a bunch of mollies and ramshorn snails this week and will have store credit there. I am going to ask if she can order me a pink one.

I am wondering if the 10 gallon is too heavily planted for a Beta. I trimmed it some and I am removing the tall, grass like plants in the front. Anyone know what they are? I think it is a crypt but not sure. It came in an RAOK box. There is driftwood in the tank but it is almost completely covered by plants. I am using a small canister filter right now but just got a sponge filter in case that would be better. I was planning on using it in a 5 gallon but it is too big. I can modify the outflow on the canister if needed to reduce water disturbance.

If anyone has any other ideas for fish that would do better in a heavily planted 10 gallon I would be interested in hearing your suggestions.

Attachments

• 10gal3.jpg
    10gal3.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 141
One thing first........ Beautiful tank! I love it, if you don't mind, may I ask what that red plant next to the DW is?
I have a planted tank, not as much as yours, hope it someday does, and I have a betta, 5 ghost shrimp, and 2 African dwarf frogs, I think that would look very cool, I would go with the betta, pick shrimp of your choice, and 2 or 3 African dwarf frogs
Nice tank!

A pink betta will look amazing aha isn't all that green! I've been going crazy looking for an orange one so my betta tank is still empty :(

The red plant in the front corner is alt. reinek. It is a very pretty hot red color on the bottom of the leaf and darker red on top. I have some other red tinted plants in there but they do not stand out because of all the other plants cover them. I am supposed to have some ghost shrimp in there but I never see them. LOL Too many hiding spots. I am thinking I have to remove some of the water lettuce to free up some more surface area. I have high light on this tank with diy CO2 and the duckweed gets huge.

You don't need to trim the plant bettas live in thicker planted areas than that in their natural environment

Perfect home for a betta. It will absolutely love it just as it is. If only every betta was so lucky!!

I have a heavily planted 10 gallon that I cannot decide what to put in it. The tank is currently housing a couple of small mollies to keep it cycled. I also have one baby ivory mystery snail and lots of ramshorns and Malaysian trumpet snails in there. I saw a pink beta at Petland a few months ago and have been researching them. I am thinking of getting a pink beta if I can find one again. I have been checking out aquabid and thinking about posting in the classifieds. I am not liking the idea of purchasing one from the store when they are kept in such bad conditions. My local place has a few, but no pink ones, and she actually has them in small tanks. I am taking her a bunch of mollies and ramshorn snails this week and will have store credit there. I am going to ask if she can order me a pink one. I am wondering if the 10 gallon is too heavily planted for a Beta. I trimmed it some and I am removing the tall, grass like plants in the front. Anyone know what they are? I think it is a crypt but not sure. It came in an RAOK box. There is driftwood in the tank but it is almost completely covered by plants. I am using a small canister filter right now but just got a sponge filter in case that would be better. I was planning on using it in a 5 gallon but it is too big. I can modify the outflow on the canister if needed to reduce water disturbance. If anyone has any other ideas for fish that would do better in a heavily planted 10 gallon I would be interested in hearing your suggestions.

The grassy plants in the front look like dwarf sag. As far as other suggestions go a couple of dwarf puffers would love exploring that tank. Also fully colored up ember tetras would really pop amongst all that green.

Perfect home for a betta :) quick question of topic, what lighting do you use for your 10g?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I don't think you need to trim unless you want too! Bettas love to hide and swim through things.

Thanks everyone. I think the Beta is the way to go. Now to find another pink one. I am using two clamp on metal dome lights (brooder lights) with 6500k 26 watt bulbs. I mounted them about 7 inches above the tank. I have them on a timer set for 8 hours a day.

I don't think the tall grass plant is dwarf sag. I have dwarf sag in my 5 gallon and it doesn't get more than two inches. This plant is 6 inches tall and still growing. I will get a close up of the plants and see if that helps. I have a few more that came in the box of plants that I am not sure what they are. All have grown wonderfully for me. All except the crypto spirallis. I really wanted that one to grow but it just melted away. Possibly from the Metricide?

I put about 10 ghost shrimp into the tank a few months ago. I occasionally see one. Does anyone have a suggestion for a bottom dweller? Something that will live with the Beta and not destroy the plants. Maybe some cory cats?

What about the filter flow? I enlarged the holes in the spray bar because the water was really coming out strong. I originally bought it for the 5 gallon but it was way to strong of a current. It uprooted plants.

I am thinking of putting a dwarf puffer in my 5 gallon. It was originally going to be a shrimp only tank but I keep changing my mind. I am waiting for the moss wall and a few other plants to grow in before making a final decision.

I have corys in a medium planted tank and they are fine. Occasionally digging out new plants but once the plants get a good hold they're fine. Also had corys with my betta and all gpt on well. I like otos in a planted tank.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sounds like betta heaven! And the puffer would be good in the 5 gal. I'm setting my 10 up for my DP right now. Can't wait to hear how they do once you get them

Tank looks great! Betas native habitat is very thick with plants so it should be perfect.
Dwarf puffers are cute little guys but definitely do not put them with a beta.. They need a species only tank.
Cory cats need a 20g tank at least in my opinion. But you could get 3-4 Otos and they would be perfect:)

I check out the different catfish every time I go to places that have fish. Most have Chinese algae eaters but no Otocinclus. What about black khuli loaches? Would a Beta attack them? Just having a Beta would be fine though. Then a puffer in the 5 gallon. I am also saving to get a 20 long and plan to move my male molly into that because he is wearing himself out trying to mate with his three girls .LOL He has also over populated my 29 gallon and my local pet store is running out of room for mollies. I am going to a larger city tomorrow that has a Petland, Bert's pet store, and a new Petsmart. I am hoping to be able to check all of them out and maybe find a pink Beta. I should have bought the one I saw at Petland a few months ago. It was a beautiful light pink. Wish me luck.

Good luck

Kuhli loaches need at least a 20 long, they are very active
I would add more shrimp and maybe a couple of ADF's

I personally have kuhli loaches in a heavily planted 10g like yours, and they are very happy. I think it would be ok. They love to swim through the plants searching for bits of food.

No way a kuhli loach can be in a 10 gallon, they get 4 inches, and are very, very active, plus they need a group of 5 + loaches to be happy, please, don't do it

Back
Top Bottom