Possible mold problem?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maybe, or maybe it's just too much.. Flakes tend to do that quickly I realized, but the only other thing I feed my fry are spinach... Maybe test the water just to be sure everything is ok, and feed a little less, if there's some left it too much..

I feed them really small pieces, (like crushed to powder almost), 3x a day a small quantity, (half the size of a quarter maybe) then more if they're still hungry, I have over 75 now, and the oldest are maybe 1 week old.. I'm pretty sure it's over feeding.

Do you think I should just suck the mold up and do a 20% water change?

Maybe, or maybe it's just too much.. Flakes tend to do that quickly I realized, but the only other thing I feed my fry are spinach... Maybe test the water just to be sure everything is ok, and feed a little less, if there's some left it too much..

I'll start watching them better when I feed I'm normally in a hurry in the morning to get to school but I'll start waking up earlier

I'd give it a try... Unless you have a safe place to put the fry, moving them around, cleaning the tank ext seems excessive, just make sure the waters ok, the fry are super sensitive. But If you say it looks like food, it's no big deal just clean quickly.

Me too. I do crush up the flakes. I actually have this mixture I feed them it's baby brine shrimp, blood worms, flakes, and pellets. Could it be the mixture?

No its not the mixture. What I would do is, get a sponge filter. They are a few dollars for that size tank and are available at a lot of stores or online. Remove the fry after you get that filter and remove the under gravel filter. Also only use about 1/2 an inch of gravel for them. You have too much there and that can cause problems for a tank that small and over feeding. Since there is no mechanical filtration, I would change 50% of the water 4 days apart to reduce any built up over feeding. That's what I would do. I'll get a link for sponge filters

Okay thanks to both of you! Your information is very helpful! I'm also sorry if I sound immature about this stuff, it's just I'm new to all of and would like to learn because I want to take up fish. Keeping as my new hobby.

Okay thanks to both of you! Your information is very helpful! I'm also sorry if I sound immature about this stuff, it's just I'm new to all of and would like to learn because I want to take up fish. Keeping as my new hobby.

Not a problem. Your at a great place to learn for sure! We were all beginners once and we do like to help other for sure!!!

I thought it would be a fun and easy hobby, boy was I wrong :p but it's worth it! Good luck :)

I thought it would be a fun and easy hobby, boy was I wrong :p but it's worth it! Good luck :)

Yeah It is! I'm sure though I do sound stupid compared to other members because I wouldn't think teens would normally take an interest in stuff like this but to me I find it so interesting. I could just sit and watch the tank all day long.

By the way OP, do you know how to cycle an aquarium? Do you have a way to test your water?

I don't sorry... I don't really have much with my tank I just had a little money left from Christmas and bought a few things to see how I would like but I found out I love it so I'm planning on buying everything I need with my birthday money which is in about a month and normally each birthday I get about $600 or more so I will get what I need with that.

Definitely add an API Master Test Kit to your list! This will let you know a lot about your tank water chemistry

Definitely add an API Master Test Kit to your list! This will let you know a lot about your tank water chemistry

+ 1! And I learnt a lot, and I mean a lot on this forum, I think it took me a year to post but I was reading everything! It's awesome hobby even better when you do it right :)

eggs and Fry are suseptible to fungus more than anything else. If an outbreak does occour, they would pin their fins like a pintail and thats when it gets hard. I use to have this on my guppy fry until i moved the to a diffrent tank. I would setup the tank again and stearilize it and if it becomes a problem you can use one of several fungicide meds, methylene blue, malachite green, or furan green. BTW the best substrate is sand or a sand gravel mixture. Tanks with gravel just don't last even with UG filters eventually they will get dirty to the point of no return.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom