Pregnant Guppy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elaine5182

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone

I noticed last night when feeding my fish a new baby fish in the tank and one of my usually bright blue guppies looking slightly odd. (see attached). I have since been to my lfs and got a fish hatchery and put the blue one and the baby in.

My blue guppy's tail is hanging down and it seems rather sad like it's not swimming much, it has been like this since last night. Surely if it was pregnant or about to have more babies it would have had these by now?
Very puzzled as I thought when I saw the baby guppy there would be more but I can't seem to find anymore and the "mother" is beginning to worry me now.
Can anyone advise looking at my photos what might be wrong with it and if it is pregnant how long it will be before more babies come along?

Thanks

Attachments

• baby guppy.jpg
    baby guppy.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 170
  • pregnant guppy.jpg
    pregnant guppy.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 173
From the picture I beleive the adult is a male. Can you get a better pic?

Guppys normally eat their babies so you are lucky if you have managed to catch a few. If that 2nd pic guppy (which I agree with the poster above, looks like a male) one swims like that the whole time that could be a serious problem, though I have noticed mine sometimes swim like that as their mating "dance". But if its swimming with cramped fins the whole time that could be a problem.

I have attached more pictures. Hope this is better?
any advice is appreciated.

Attachments

• IMAG0505.jpg
    IMAG0505.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 148
  • IMAG0507.jpg
    IMAG0507.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 140
  • IMAG0511.jpg
    IMAG0511.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 141
  • IMAG0514.jpg
    IMAG0514.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 139
Thats deffinatley a male. I had a turqoise guppy thayer got the same problem and died.

I had a few die from that as well its something that messes up their balance, so they either swim constantly with the tail down...head up or head down tail up. I think they call it Swim Bladder. try googling "How to treat Swim Bladder", I hope you able to still save him.

I had a goldfish with SBD and he lived for years with it one thing that helps is frozen peas heat one up in the microwave in a little water when it's cooked squeeze the pea till the guts come out and fed your gup as much as he will eat if it's a blockage or gas this will help relieve it it's like a fish laxative

Back
Top Bottom