python no spill for 10 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ringfinger

Aquarium Advice Freak
Would a Python No Spill system be too much for a 10 gallon aquarium? From what I hear, the convenience is unbeatable. Plus...i'm sure I will be satisfied with one tank for only so long and will probably have a 40 or a 55 within a year.

I say buy it!!! You will be glad you did. It is def. worth the money, no questions!!
It made my life alot easier.

I use my python with my 10 gal all the time. It's no doubt the best aquarium accessory I have purchased! It drains 1/3 of the 10 gal tank in about two minutes, so I have to work fast to vac the gravel.

Yep best thing ever. I first got one to clean out my garter snake cage which is half water. You can even use it for draining ponds if they are too low for a normal syphon. Lately I have been sticking mine out the window to an outside faucet because that way I don't get fishy mess & smells in my sink.

Over kill for a 10 gal only and not worth the expense.

If you had a BIGGER tank like 30-50 gallons then maybe.

I really dont care for them in the first place anyways as they do not dechlorinate the water while its entering the tank. I prefer not to give my fish a short term bath in chlorine not matter how short the time may be.

I use it for my small tanks and its super quick. The tanks that I have are: 5g 10g, and a 20g. Evan with just a 5g I would still want/need one!

There's something I figured out tonight with the python. Turn the water pressure down a little bit while filling. Put in enough dechlor for about a gal of water into the tube, let it fill completly then dump into the tank. We did this tonight and it worked perfectly. None of the water that entered the tank was without dechlor and it was very easy to do. It's a two person job, but it works great.

The python is a great tool and one of the best inventions ever made for aquaria. Several different companies make a variety of the python so I personally don't have an orginal python, but my fiance's mother does and it works great. Highly recommended.

on a ten gal tank you are changing 2-3 gals of water at a time. Do you want to carry that water in a bucket or pay for a hose that puts it in the tub or sink without carrying. Its up to you. If you've got the $, I say go for it. :wink:

I don't have the money, but I do have an addiction to fish. I bought one tonight.

As for a larger tank...I hope to have a 55 or a 75 with Discus fish within a year or two. But being a college student it might take me a while of saving.

Ringfinger- Congrats on getting a python! You won't regret it. One thing that's great about it, its a universal tool. It can be used with any tank that you will ever own, no matter how big or small. No more buckets, spills, or gross fish water being spilled on the floor (yucky smell). Think about it this way, when you get a 55 gal tank, you will already have the python. :D

I change my water at least once a week with a 2 quart pitcher :) use a 12 gallon trash can for old water.

tanks sizes currently 29, 10, 10 ,2.5, 2.5, 1.6

anyhow I am abit picky about temperture control so I measure that with a digital thermometer.

to each his own i guess have fun changing a 10 gallon with a python lol!

Oh remember you have to adjust the temp at the faucets and you have to dechlorinate the water too. good luck!

When you get a Python Fancy, you will realize the convenience and time that is saved. It will give you more time to watch the fishies. :D

anyhow I am abit picky about temperture control so I measure that with a digital thermometer.

That's what is so great about the Python. You hook it up to the sink, turn on the water and let it run until it comes to the desired temperature (let the water fill into a cup and put the digital thermometer in the cup to read the temp), and suck out the water then refill. It's very easy to use. I use the python on my 10 and 5 gal and the suction is unsurpassed by anyother gravel vac. It really gets the fishy poop sucked out fast.

I will never get one until they have a mixing device made for it the dechlorinates the water before it ever enters the tank :) Once that happens I will probably decide to get a 55 gallon drum for holding aged water and use a pump with hose instead :)

its the whole temperature thing i cannot trust the faucets to maintain an exact temperature.

Fancy- the water is dechlorinated before entering the water. See below:
Turn the water pressure down a little bit while filling. Put in enough dechlor for about a gal of water into the tube, let it fill completly then dump into the tank. We did this tonight and it worked perfectly. None of the water that entered the tank was without dechlor and it was very easy to do.

an exact temperature? a tank 2 degrees off will not do harm. When we are doing a water change in the 150 gal tank, the water from the faucet stays between 76 and 78 through the entire process from sucking water out and re-filling. Besides, that's what the heater is for.

Like I said when there is a definate way to have drops of dechlorinator added as you fill not some oh put some in the hose deal. ;) Also the temp does make a huge difference to me. anymore than a .2-.5 difference I am not too happy with.

What happens if someone took a shower right before you got home and you decided to change water?? they didnt tell you so you start filling and then run out of hot and the temp drop 15 degrees in the water?? see I cant take that chance :) My hot water heater barely lasts one shower thats it.

Personally I would much rather take my 12volt RV pump and hook it up to a 55 gallon drum of water that I heat, filter and prepare days ahead of time. that would be my optimal set up.

Back
Top Bottom