Questions for new Oscar tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nwsharksfan

Aquarium Advice Activist
I want to preface this by stating I know I'm pushing the stocking limits of my tank. Please limit the "your overstocking comments" to a minimum. I have a tiger oscar and a jack dempsey with no intention of adding anything else (except possibly snails and/or a clam). 92 gal tank.

Question 1: Enough filtration? I have a Rena Filstar XP3 filter that is rated for up to a 170 gal tank with a flow rate of 340 gal/hr (I think). Assuming the filter works well, is this enough filtration for this tank? I don't have the greatest degree of confidence in this filter. It doesn't seem there's any mechanism to direct the water through all the filter media. The last time I cleaned it the fine filter foam at the top (last stage) of the filter was far dirtier than the coarse foam at the bottom.

Question 2: Better off without carbon? I have never NOT used activated carbon in my filter but recently read that it may not be necessary and that carbon may be a contributing factor in HIHD by sucking all the nutrients out of the water. Am I better of replacing the carbon with more bio media?

Question 3: Happy tank mates? My oscar and Jack Dempsey are both juveniles. Currently they get along and kind of pair up as they swim around the tank. My concern is that they will have a messy breakup - especially given the oscar is growing at a much faster rate than the JD.

Question 1, I have that filter on my 55g with 8 vics and I also have an Aquaclear 50 and both HAVE TO be cleaned weekly.

Question 2, Carbon is good for cleaning the water or taking med out but is not need for normal conditions...

Question 3, No experience with Oscars and JDs.

1. Not enough filtration. Add another filter, such as Fluval FX5 or Aquaclear 110

2. Activated carbon does remove some dissolved waste, so it keeps your water cleaner. Its not needed because weekly water changes are the ultimate water cleaner

3. Overlook their activity daily and inspect each fish for bite marks & unusual changes in appearance.

1) I'd definitely add more filtration, both fish are heavy bio-load producers

2) Carbon is your choice. It has it's pros/cons which have already been noted.

3) JDs are slow growers. Since you know your oscar is growing faster, as mentioned above, start keeping a closer eye on things. The "break up" could be nastier than you think. Give your JD a cave if you don't already have one. Oscars aren't so much for them, but JDs love them. It will also give him a place to retreat if/when the oscar gets pushy.

So, I need more filtration. I know more is better but I would prefer to avoid overkill to save a few bucks. I'm looking to get a fluval. Do I really need to go with the 405 rated for my tank size or should I aim a little lower since the filter I have is already rated for a 170 gal tank?

So, I have a fluval 406 on the way to supplement my existing filter (thought fx5 would have been overkill and I was not eager to throw an extra &100 out the window). Was wondering if there's any benefit to devoting one to bio filtration and one to chemical - or if having both in each is preferable.

No extra benefit besides satisfying your personal preference. Just the same thing if water is running through each of them.

I was having issues with HIHD. Removed all carbon from both filters and it was nearly clear 1 1/2 months later. Haven't had a problem since.

1)Yeah, with your stock and their bio-load increasing the filtration is a really good idea.

2) Don't continue to waste the money on carbon but because of the high bio-load I do recommend Seachem Purigen. It's great stuff. Will help with your nitrites and so much more. Plus its rechargeable so you don't have to keep buying it every month. I run it in all of my tanks. Here is a link
Seachem. Purigen

Hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom