Questions on Apistogramma

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CalvAL5

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys I was thinking of setting up a tank with dwarf cichlids in it. What kind of setup do these guys need? How much space do they each need? And what tank mates are suitable for them? I was thinking putting some rams and apistos together. Thanks in advance :)

And what about plants will they dig them up?
Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Either type mentioned should be fine in a planted tank. What is your water like (pH, GH, kH, etc)? What size tank do you have to work with? I would likely recommend choosing one type of dwarf unless you have a larger tank.

Tank I have is 3 1/2 ft long and 110 gallons and my water has a high ph and GH

Usually tank bred fish can adjust to different pH level as long as they are stable. In a 3 1/2 foot tank you should be able to do a pair of each, an maybe more depending on if they are a mating pair. They will not disrupt the plants and as long and there is a lot of hiding places, and ornaments for sightline break ups then you should be just fine. They are mostly bottom dwellers so you can get all sorts of tankmates from tetras and rasboras, catfish, loaches, gourami, and even other smaller less agressive cichlids like angel, festivum, keyhole, rainbows. 10 penguin tetras, 1 albino BN Pleco, 2 apistos, 2 blue rams, 2 festivum, and 2 keyholes would be a nice start.

Sweet I can't wait to get some now :D. Thanks for the great info. They like caves too right?

Question, how on earth is a 3 1/2 ft. tank 110gal?????????

Back
Top Bottom