Quick question on PWC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

donttaptheglass

Aquarium Advice Freak
Getting ready to do a PWC on my 55 Gal tank for the first time, and from what I can tell so far, it seems the appropriate amount to change is about 15 Gal. Is this right?

Also, what method do most of you use to get the water out? Was thinking of getting a small hose and just siphoning it out. (The tank has no fish in it at this point, I'm just trying to cycle it)

Any advice on what I could squeeze behind that tank to get the bubbles out of the background picture for this tank would be great. It was a last minute decision and the tank is a little too close to the wall to get my hand back there.

As for getting the water out, you can buy a gravel vaccum at a pet store so that tou will be able to clean the gravel later on, and just use it like a hose, or you can use a hose. Ive heard people say not to use garden hose though because they can leach bad stuff into the water, but somone else can confirm that for you. The amount of water you change depends on the purpose. Just out of curiosity, why are you doing a water change if its a fishless cycle? I had to do around 3 huge ones even with a fishless cycle because the ph was dropping!

To be honest, it hasn't been entirely "fishless" . . . I had to do a rather urgent water change of my three kids' 2.5 gallon tanks, so for a period of about 48 hours, I had 11 small fish in there

As for the urgent change in the kids' tanks, lets just say thanks to grandma for going to WalMart and getting them all the MiniBow 2.5Gal Aquarium kit . . . word of advice, if any of you get this thing, take the filter out of the box and throw it away and go buy your own.

Thanks for the advice though! I'll do that.

I bet you can stick a squeegee behind there to squeeze out the bubbles. I used one on mine and it worked quite well, until I got some water between the sheet and the glass. (then it had to be removed and dried)

I second the gravel vac, they are great and you will be surprised how much detrius is down there.

The Python is the greatest invention known to fishkind. It makes gravel vacs a sinch. I use a hose to get water into our tank since it's 100 feet from the sink. But if you use one, make sure you use one that is for human consumption.

What are your water readings? Unless you have really high levels that you can't get an accurate testing from, I would not do a water change. Having those fish in there was great for getting your bacteria you need in the tank.

I find that setting up the Python every week for pwc is a pain. I only bring that bod bay out when I am vacuuming the gravel. I normally just use a piece of 1/2 inch silicone tubing and an extra powerhead. I dunk it in and wait for my bucket to fill up. Then I do the reverse when filling the tank. I dunk the ph in the bucket and wait for the tank to fill up. No spills and very easy on the back.

Good Luck,
Brian

Thank you everyone for all your suggestions . . . looks like I'm off to get a Python on payday, and actually, my LPS told me the same thing, but you guys have told me not to always go by them. :lol: They are actually a rather large store, family owned and seem very knowledgeable about their aquariums . . .somewhat on the expensive side sometimes, but I'm willing to pay if I know I'm getting what I need and not just what they want to sell me. If any of you are here in Michigan (around Lansing), you might want to check them out at Preuss Animal House.

Thanks for the info on the image, but I was aware already. I just find putting the full size image in the forum intrusive. If they really want to see it, they'll click on it.

Thanks again all!

Hello from another Michigander!

If any of you are here in Michigan (around Lansing), you might want to check them out at Preuss Animal House.

Two thumbs up for that store! (y) (y)

I went there on a busy Saturday and they had enough staff to help everyone that needed fish or had questions. Everywhere I went I over heard the staff explaining how to do different things. They had a huge selection of freshwater fish and plants. Their saltwater fish and rock selection impressed the heck out of me to the point that I felt that I should have paid an admission fee! They had a couple display tanks so you could see how big some of the fish got....big plus for me!

If anyone is interested in a parrot/reptile/snake/frog this place has a ton of that also. Not much dog/cat stuff

Lansing is about an hour south of me, but I'm always on the look-out for a nice fish store just to look around.

If you are interested in a fish store road trip there are several fish stores between Lansing and Saginaw.

(Saginaw)
Pet Paradise
Aquatic Gardens
Scales and tails

(Birch Run)
Rift lake

(Caro)
Something fishy

The python is well worth it for larger tanks. For a small tank like a 10 or 20 gal, it may be a pain. But when working with a 55 gal, it is defiantely easier with the python. Plus, you can refill, so no need for buckets.

i just wanted to let everybody know about this site. I know bigals has some great prices on supplies, but i found this site and ordered the Lee's 50 foot ultimate gravel vac. It arraived on time, and in great condition and at that time I only paid 36 dollars, for a 50 foot! Thought I got a good deal and wanted to share.

http://www.petdiscounters.com/catalog/Ultimate_Aquarium_Vacs-p-1157359.html

Big Al's will price match and also subtract an additional 5% for any online site that has the same product for sale at a cheaper price. :D

Back
Top Bottom