redsea's 20g Freshwater Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Definitely a good idea to shorten the tube if you can. Also, remember not to cover the hard rhizome of the anubias and java fern with sand if you decide to not tie those to rocks of wood. Just a reminder. A great thing to do would be to google each type of plant you have, something like "how to plant crypts" or "how to tie java fern to rock". Couldn't hurt!

I have cut to almost every intake tube I have to make them shorter. Plus you can add an intake sponge if you can find one for your size intake. I've had things get clogged in filters and stop them before while I've been gone with no problems. Once they bind up that's it they don't continue to try to keep going. Forgot what type filter do you have? You'll have to post pic's when you can.

Here is what the tank currently looks like.

I have got an Aqueon Filter from Petco. :)

Attachments

• image-693384679.jpg
    image-693384679.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 85
Just wondering, since I have well water, do I need to add any prime/anything else before it goes in the tank? Thanks!

I plan on leaving it clear. ;)

Just curious, what gloves can I/can't I use? I have osme disposable ones that are latex-free, but I am not sure if those are okay.

:thanks:

I plan on leaving it clear. ;)

Just curious, what gloves can I/can't I use? I have osme disposable ones that are latex-free, but I am not sure if those are okay.

:thanks:
Personally i don't use gloves, i could be wrong, but i've never heard of anyone using gloves. Not sure if there's a need???

Personally i don't use gloves, i could be wrong, but i've never heard of anyone using gloves. Not sure if there's a need???

I believe the only need for gloves would be when dosing certain meds (some cause cancer) or when you have a open wound on your hands or arms. I know I try not to clean my tanks if I cut myself or something earlier that day.

As for gloves if they are small latex things what's the point you would have to duck tape them shut to prevent water from entering. Aqua gloves like these is what I would get if I wanted to wear gloves

Here's a link.

http://www.bigalspets.ca/aquagloves-1-pair-28.html

I believe the only need for gloves would be when dosing certain meds (some cause cancer) or when you have a open wound on your hands or arms. I know I try not to clean my tanks if I cut myself or something earlier that day.

As for gloves if they are small latex things what's the point you would have to duck tape them shut to prevent water from entering. Aqua gloves like these is what I would get if I wanted to wear gloves

Here's a link.

Aquagloves - 1 Pair - 28"
Yes indeed the meds, forgot about those!!. I was just thinking of cleaning and general maintenance. Would do no harm but don't see the need or hassle apart from the situations mentioned above....

So tomorrow is fish day! I have been thinking about Neon Tetras, but there are other options I would be willing to try, such as Harlequin Rasboras, or another kind of Tetra. I also really like Cories, but I am aware that there are some that will out grow my 20g. :)

Have an awesome night, and if you have any questions and comments, let me know! I always try to respond as quickly as possible ;)

Harliquen rasbora's would be a better choice than the neons IMO. I have 13 in the 220g. They are also alot more hardy than neons.

As for cory's look for Panda's and Julii's as both are a good size for a 20g.

This is what the tank looks like tonight! Tomorrow night when I post a picture, there will be fish in it. Yay! ;) Thanks everyone for the continuous support and help. You are all awesome friends! Have a great Thursday night, an awesome Friday, and please enjoy your tanks! :)

Attachments

• image-1621535161.jpg
    image-1621535161.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 62
This is what the tank looks like tonight! Tomorrow night when I post a picture, there will be fish in it. Yay! ;) Thanks everyone for the continuous support and help. You are all awesome friends! Have a great Thursday night, an awesome Friday, and please enjoy your tanks! :)
Hey Redsea, your tank looks very cool. Loving the colours. Just one thing though and please don't take this as a criticism, but are you going to level out the substrate at the front. Again, not criticizing, just curious!!!

Hey Redsea, your tank looks very cool. Loving the colours. Just one thing though and please don't take this as a criticism, but are you going to level out the substrate at the front. Again, not criticizing, just curious!!!

No, not criticism at all! I appreciate the comment!

My filter is so strong it decided to make that dip in the sand :lol:. I am not a huge fan of it either, I am thinking I will eventually put some nice rocks there or something so the sand doesn't move as much, if that makes sense.

Thanks for posting!

No, not criticism at all! I appreciate the comment!

My filter is so strong it decided to make that dip in the sand :lol:. I am not a huge fan of it either, I am thinking I will eventually put some nice rocks there or something so the sand doesn't move as much, if that makes sense.

Thanks for posting!
That explains it!!. Yeah when you add more decor, it'll break up the current. Have you a background on it or is that just the wall behind it???

If you keep the tank really full of water, like 1/4" from the inside lip of the top rim, it should help keep the water from pushing down so hard. It can't be kept like that all the time but it will help out a little. I have to keep my small tank topped off like that for the same reason. Decorations and plants should also help some. Still, it's looking better with every pic. Can't wait to see some fish!

Back
Top Bottom