reverse osmosis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman1995

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I live in the country kind of area and I have a water softener to soften the water to drink but I also have a reverse osmosis hooked up to it will the reverse osmosis take care of the bad chemicals salt ect and is it safe to add to my aquarium by the way it is well water

Test it first out of the tap and then again after leaving a cup out for 24 hours. I get mine before it goes threw the softener but some people dont. Can you get water before the ro/Di unit and softener ?

sadly no everything is hooked up to it but will the salt affect my fish i have zebra danios alage eater not pleco im getting tiger barbs and maybe a few others

will it lower ph ill have to check because if not ill have to keep buying distilled water and it is getting quite costly

If the RO unit is hooked up after the water softner system then yes the RO unit will remove sodium from the water.

would there be any alternate routes to getting water i have hard water and i have a water softiner but the reverse osmosis is connected to the softner and it lowers the ph i beleive what should i do for the water situation

fishman1995 said:
would there be any alternate routes to getting water i have hard water and i have a water softiner but the reverse osmosis is connected to the softner and it lowers the ph i beleive what should i do for the water situation

It shouldn't be all hooked up at least I've never seen it that way. Your well line comes in and it hooks to a tank that normally has a spigot or a water pressure valve. It goes from that to another tank ( water softener ) that line going in you could cut it and add a spigot. Normally on that line there are lines that come off of it to go to your outside water witch is before because salt and plants don't mix together to well.

I use to run a hose back into the house to the tank to fill then I got tiered of that and put in a new line to the tank.

Note if you add a water valve turn off the well pump and shut all the other valves.

Back
Top Bottom