Sailfin? Maybe a Rhino? Pleco ID help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skywhitney

Aquarium Advice Addict
Any ideas? It kind of looks like a Rhino to me but i am by no means knowlegable about these guys at all. These are the best pics i could get. sorry for the fuzziness, my phone was all i had.

Last edited:
IMO, definitely not a rhino and the fin doesn't look high enough to be a sailfin. I am not an expert, but I think its a common pleco.

This one might be a little better...maybe...

Last edited:
absolutangel04 said:
IMO, definitely not a rhino and the fin doesn't look high enough to be a sailfin. I am not an expert, but I think its a common pleco.

Do all plecos have a version of the horn looking deal near their eyes?

Most of the bigger ones do. Both the common and sailfin have them. If you google pictures of the common pleco, you will see those little horns on them. You can try that and then see if you think the little horns are bigger on your guy. I have seen some rather large ones on commons before though.

absolutangel04 said:
Most of the bigger ones do. Both the common and sailfin have them. If you google pictures of the common pleco, you will see those little horns on them. You can try that and then see if you think the little horns are bigger on your guy. I have seen some rather large ones on commons before though.

Haha thats what i just did...hes young so its hard for me to tell. A number of the Rhino pics looked similar (to me) but so did the pics of the common...

I just want to figure out what type he is that way i know what to expect (size, diet, etc)

absolutangel04 said:
How big is he? The rhinos I am familiar with have a different color pattern. Honestly, I do not know if they all look like that or not, but the ones I have seen almost have stripes like this guy: cichlids.com: rhino pleco

He's maybe 3". Hes still a tiny guy.

I think its harder when they are smaller.
Hopefully one of the pleco experts can tell for sure though. I am pretty sure its a common, but I have been pretty sure of a lot of things that didn't pan out. Lol.

absolutangel04 said:
I think its harder when they are smaller.
Hopefully one of the pleco experts can tell for sure though. I am pretty sure its a common, but I have been pretty sure of a lot of things that didn't pan out. Lol.

Well i took him into a lfs that i trust and they agree he is just an orangeish colored common. I will be trading him for a clown pleco in the next couple of days though.

absolutangel04 said:
Thanks for the update. Clown plecos are pretty cute. :)

And they stay much smaller which makes me a lot more comfortable :) And they are pretty cute lol

The Rhino's I have seen esp at that size seem to be more solid colored than that, but I have only seen the very small ones at the pet store. The lfs kid says the eventually turn copper-ish. Good luck but imo it looks like a common.

Randal

Well I am now the proud owner of a little Clown Pleco and have traded the common to the lfs. Hopefully the clown will like the new 60g i'm about to get!

Here he is...still pretty freaked by the change but he'll adjust soon :)
I'm still trying to figure out what to name him...any suggestions?

Last edited:
Hmmmmm... If it was me, I would name him Pancake because his latin name of Panaque reminds me of pancakes.
He is a little cutie. I hope he settles in nicely. Do you have driftwood for him?

lol pancake...that might work actually. we'll see what the wifey says :)

I have a small piece for him right now, and a much nicer piece for the new build. I started a thread for that also. you should check it out. I'm kinda going at that thread like George9 is doing his, just a collector thread of questions and updates. Thread is here.

Back
Top Bottom