Schooling fish with angels in a 60g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ulrichsd

Aquarium Advice Freak
Looking for something new that would fit...

I have 4 angelfish and 4 sterbai cories in a 60g... The angels are full size, about 2 years old.

I have read that neon or cardinals might get eaten while others say no problems... Does anyone have any experience?

Just thinking a flash of color in this tank might be fun. And since they are so cheap not a big deal if they did get eaten.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks, Scott20191027_160431_HDR.jpg

I've kept black neons with Angel's, they're larger than neons/cardinals. Rummynose may be a good bet. They get larger and school pretty tight.

Thanks! I will check out the rummy nose tetras next time I'm at the pet store. Would 10 be a good number?

Called a few places and finally found someone who carries them. Only $2 each too :) will run over one night this week

Drove over to the fish store and they only had 5 :( now I'm on the list for when they get more in, but I did bring the few back and have then in a breeder box until they get a little bigger. Might call some other places to see if anyone else carries them.20191030_231441.jpg

I'm a fan of Harlequin Rasboras, but a good sized school of rummynose tetras is very impressive.

Thanks, for the suggestion, I do like the look of the harlequins too! I do love the cardinals but I've read they can become food for angels. Black skirts definitely get bigger, but I've read that they can sometimes nip angel fins. But in the end, the rummy nose are only $2 each (if they ever get more in stock) and supposedly school tighter than most tetras so hoping I can get some good schooling.

Gave up on rummy nose tetras for now since not many places carried them or the one that did never seem to be in stock. I called literally every store in a 45 minute radius :)

So I picked up 12 black skirt tetras and 10 neons instead. Read mixed things about both... Blank skirt regarding nipping and neons getting eaten. If either don't work I have an empty 10 gallon I can move them to.

Added the black skirt tetras to the main tank... so far so good. The angels didn't seem to react to much. The black skirt tetras seem to school in 2 groups near the bottom. I don't think the corys are used to having anyone in their space.

Adding the tetras to a cycled 10 gallon for a little bit. Along with 3 ghost shrimp. Impulse buy since they are only $0.39 :)20191123_192210_HDR.jpeg20191123_192059.jpg

And the black skirt tetras came with ich :( started another thread since it is my footrest time having to deal with it).

The black skirt tetras are schooling together pretty well. Fingers crossed I don't have the fin nipping issues (none yet) and that they all recover from the ich quickly. Currently treating with API super ick cure.

Back
Top Bottom