Seachem Prime VS ClorAm-x?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitzo77

Aquarium Advice Regular
I saw this post by @ orinjfish on instagram. They have ammonia in their tap water and was having trouble keeping it down until they used ClorAm-x.

I was wondering if anyone here has tried this product and if anyone had any thoughts about it?

Here are photos of the post:
IMG_8197.jpg
IMG_8198.jpg

Its free vs bound ammonia. You need a test that shows free ammonia.
Exactly... it's still there, which could lead some to never fix cause.

But very interesting, will try to learn more about this product.

Do you think switching to Cloram x would be a better way to fix ammonia?

Exactly... it's still there, which could lead some to never fix cause.

But very interesting, will try to learn more about this product.

Thats not actually correct. You would have to dramatically raise the ph to de bind... and that would have caused you injury, not just your fish.

No doubt your correct, but my point is why ammonia to start with. Healthy cycled tank should have 0, I don't really now much about the binding.

No doubt your correct, but my point is why ammonia to start with. Healthy cycled tank should have 0, I don't really now much about the binding.
You actually need plants to absorb that bound ammonia. Its still edible by the plants bound. If it isn't bound then you making some other element... Its a lot harder to actually remove than you would expect. However prime has become the standard for a long time... And I wouldn't say any of those tanks cycled with prime are not healthy.

You actually need plants to absorb that bound ammonia. Its still edible by the plants bound. If it isn't bound then you making some other element... Its a lot harder to actually remove than you would expect. However prime has become the standard for a long time... And I wouldn't say any of those tanks cycled with prime are not healthy.

Where do you get your plants at? I've been wanting to get some "beginner" plants to start with

Where do you get your plants at? I've been wanting to get some "beginner" plants to start with
The best place is usually a lock club. They are all over. Or you can order online. But make sure you match you lighting, substrate and plants. It isn't hard just a little extra work.

Well worth it.

The best place is usually a lock club. They are all over. Or you can order online. But make sure you match you lighting, substrate and plants. It isn't hard just a little extra work.

Well worth it.

Awhile back I made the mistake of buying a plant from petco and ended up giving my Betta velvet! (faceplams) He is doing better now but this time A reliable source sounds nice lol

Remember you can always bleach your plants initially as well.

Yes I looked into that afterwards.. I really need to do more research on things. I researched types of plants but it didn't cross my mind that plants could carry parasites!

I read that this little device only reads free ammonia, has anyone tried this before? Is it worth buying?
IMG_8350.JPG

I read that this little device only reads free ammonia, has anyone tried this before? Is it worth buying?
View attachment 297757

I love most seachem products but to be honest this one is junk. I ended up tossing it. My ammonia ended up going up to .25 a few weeks ago. I got brown algae due to it and the color on that product did not change. API test kit showed .25

All it was good for was collecting algae on it

I love most seachem products but to be honest this one is junk. I ended up tossing it. My ammonia ended up going up to .25 a few weeks ago. I got brown algae due to it and the color on that product did not change. API test kit showed .25

All it was good for was collecting algae on it

Thats good to know! Im glad I didn't get it then lol

Back
Top Bottom