Seeking My Perfect Fish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey everyone! Hope all is well.

Currently on vacation which has afforded me time to do some research leading up to (finally) fully stocking my tank.

And I had a thought.

What if I added a pair of apistos instead of a school of tetras?

It would look like this
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1459272774.669949.jpg

Versus

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1459272795.855717.jpg

Any thoughts?

Tomorrows the big day! Going to my lfs to pick out my next species.

That said, there has been a change.

My gourami has gotten increasingly aggressive towards my small angelfish and with a heavy heart I've decided to give him to my lfs to rehome.

This has opened up my stocking options a little. So I'm going to list the different species I'm considering and I'm hoping to get a couple opinions.

Side note: I'm still planning on getting 5 kuhli loaches as my final addition in a few weeks

Obviously will only get one of the following species.

7-9 Bleeding Heart Tetras
8-10 Rummynose Tetras
10-12 Harlequin Rasboras
8-10 Marble Hatchets
2-4 German Blue or Bolivian Rams (1m/1f or 1m/3f)
7-9 fork tail rainbows (pseudomugil forcata I believe.)

I listed those in order of most likely purchases to least likely.

Just discovered the forktails and I'm unsure of their compatibility with the angelfish.

Hoping for a few opinions! Thanks in advance!

any small shrimp may get eaten by the angel, fower shrimp could work, look into zebra loaches, they are great i have 10 of them and form a great school, get at least 6 they really really need it. a schooling fish would be good to, something larger, some mid size tetras, or rasboras.

i like the rainbow idea, they would be great, they hatchet fish may jump, and needs a fully covering hood.

I saw some gold barbs last night and was tempted to get them. Maybe they'd be good in your tank. I wonder if anyone has experience and could direct you either towards or away from them?

i had one, i didn't like him to much. he wasn't bad, just not very interesting

Thanks for the responses guys!

any small shrimp may get eaten by the angel, fower shrimp could work, look into zebra loaches, they are great i have 10 of them and form a great school, get at least 6 they really really need it. a schooling fish would be good to, something larger, some mid size tetras, or rasboras.

i like the rainbow idea, they would be great, they hatchet fish may jump, and needs a fully covering hood.

Will check out the zebras if my lfs has them. Definitely will get either them or kuhli's for my bottom feeders.

The forktail rainbows are super tempting but I've seen conflicting reports on their compatibility with angelfish... Tough decision

I saw some gold barbs last night and was tempted to get them. Maybe they'd be good in your tank. I wonder if anyone has experience and could direct you either towards or away from them?

I'm glad you mention barbs. I hadn't thought of that but they could make nice tank mates as well.

Would either of you have a favorite off the list I made?

Also, what did you mean by "fower shrimp"?

My gold barbs are great! I have 9 and they are very nice to watch.

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

I'm going to eliminate hatchets and forktail rainbows because of different concerns. This brings me to the following.

Bolivian Rams
Bleeding Heart Tetras
Rummynose Tetras
Harlequin Rasboras
And newcomers Gold Barbs.

Any votes?

the rams would be good, you could look into other apistos to.

the rumynose look stunning in a school of 20 but a school of 9 would be cool to

there are other rainbows out there and would be a great addition tho the tank

the rams would be good, you could look into other apistos to.

the rumynose look stunning in a school of 20 but a school of 9 would be cool to

there are other rainbows out there and would be a great addition tho the tank

I am leaning towards the Rams a little. Do you think I'd have to deal with a lot of aggression with 1m/3f in a 29 gallon tank with an angelfish and a group of kuhli's?

That's my only concern with them

my only concern would be the angel, but if he was good to the gourami he will be good with the rams, the rams ratio will be fine, you may be able to get 2 males 2 females

Just got home from my lfs and ended going off list for this one.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1460226206.609161.jpg

Turquoise rainbow fish. Before you guys tell me they need a 4 foot tank I want to let you know that they will have a 4 foot tank by the time they are full grown.

Anyways I got there and all the fish I was looking for were either sick and being treated or not in stock. The manager that was helping me was suggesting multiple fish and most if not all were going to outgrow my tank. So I was about to give up when he mentioned these guys.

He insists they won't outgrow my 29 gallon but I don't really buy that lol. So the reason I sprung on these is because I have a 55 gallon tank that I'll be setting up this summer and I was deciding between beginner Mbuna or rainbow fish and I decided I'd get these guys and let them grow out in my 29 until that tank is set up.

But that pretty much it! Thanks to everyone for your help! I'll be referring to this thread when I need new tank mates for my angel in the summer.

Also if anyone has any rainbow fish keeping tips i'd appreciate them!

Thanks again!

my friend has these, the males get really beautiful, very tall and very blue, they will look great when grown, a great choice, will you get loaches eventually?

my friend has these, the males get really beautiful, very tall and very blue, they will look great when grown, a great choice, will you get loaches eventually?

That's good to hear, very excited about them!

And yes I'll get loaches (either kuhli or zebra, whichever is in stock.) in a week or 2 once the rainbows are done in the quarantine tank.

Back
Top Bottom