Shrimp or pleco?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KPCustoms

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just got my 20 gallon tall up and I have 5 red eye tetras, a baby rainbow shark, 5 yellow something's ill upload a pic, and 4 baby tiger barbs. I have a medium grain sand substraight and some fake plants. Should I go with like a common Pleco or get some shrimp. And will the rainbow shark eat the fish when he is bigger or not?

image-3324399024.jpg

Ya he is a baby and when he gets be be like 5" I will switch him out for another one. And for the Pleco I thought they adjusted to the tank they were in

Well a common pleco will almost outgrow a 55g. Have you thought about a clown pleco? I have had one for over a year and he is still only about 3 in or less. The rainbow shark wont be so happy in the 20 tall maybe a 20 long.

I could transfer the red tail into my 30 gallon nano cube and the crown tail beta into the 20 gallon if that would be better

Fish that are in a tank that they don't have enough room in get stunted. Their bodies stop growing but their organs don't. They can get bent spines and really malformed. If you google stunted fish, it'll bring up pictures of it and articles about it.

Just got my 20 gallon tall up and I have 5 red eye tetras, a baby rainbow shark, 5 yellow something's ill upload a pic, and 4 baby tiger barbs. I have a medium grain sand substrate and some fake plants. Should I go with like a common Pleco or get some shrimp. And will the rainbow shark eat the fish when he is bigger or not?

View attachment 83502

Tiger Barbs will shred the Betta probably. Add more Tiger Barbs. Yellow somethings ??? Rainbow Shark will be unhappy in a 20. No Common Plecos.
Amano Shrimp, might make it if you plant some real plants. Rainbow Sharks don't eat fish, but they do get territorial and will chase fish over and over and bully them if they are unhappy.

Don't add more fish, if you just set up the tank. It needs to cycle.
Plan to add at least 2 more Tiger Barbs once your tank settles and cycles.
They need a large group or they get nasty and may kill each other off as well as they other fish.

YMMV

I took the red tail shark, and the tiger barbs out of the 20 and put them in the 30 so I have 2 guppies, 5 yellow something's, and the crown tail beta in the 20 now and 5 black skirt tetras 3 plattys, a bristle nose Pleco, the red tail shark and the 4 tiger barbs in the 30. So now since I took the semi agressive fish out of the 20 which is better Pleco or shrimp for the 20 gallon

KPCustoms said:
I took the red tail shark, and the tiger barbs out of the 20 and put them in the 30 so I have 2 guppies, 5 yellow something's, and the crown tail beta in the 20 now and 5 black skirt tetras 3 plattys, a bristle nose Pleco, the red tail shark and the 4 tiger barbs in the 30. So now since I took the semi agressive fish out of the 20 which is better Pleco or shrimp for the 20 gallon

If its a new tank, there isn't enough Algae for either. Plus your tank needs to cycle ?
If its cycled, still add slowly.

What are the 5 Yellow fish ?????

You need to rehome that shark. You cannot offer that fish what it requires as an environment. I recommend nothing smaller than a 75 gallon tank for that shark.

You really need to do research and find out what your "yellow somethings" are. The only way to successfully provide for your fish is knowing which species you have.

You should rehome the tiger barbs as they require a larger school and you're quickly running out of room in the 30. You need to bring your school of black skirts up to 8.

I don't think you should put anything else into the 20. You need to find out how the current inhabitants are going to co-exist.

That betta would have to be EXTREMELY laid back not to go after your guppies. They see fancy tails and think it's another betta. I hope they're able to co-exist for you. :)

The tank is already cycled and it is a baby shark. I worked out a deal with the lfs and when he gets bigger I can sell him back to them and get another baby that was my plan. As for the beta he has been living with the guppies for over 2 mOnths now and hasn't even tried going after them. I was thinking of taking out the platties and putting in 3 more tiger barbs. I did do the reaserch on the shark and that's why I made the deal with the Lfs I am making $5 everytime I trade him for another one.

Common plecos get huge so I don't know why you want to keep one in your 20 gallon. Fish should be bought to be kept long term, not "once they get too big". Before you know it, it's too late and the fish will already be stunted.

The tank is already cycled and it is a baby shark. I worked out a deal with the lfs and when he gets bigger I can sell him back to them and get another baby that was my plan. I did do the reaserch on the shark and that's why I made the deal with the Lfs I am making $5 everytime I trade him for another one.

Be prepared to switch out sharks every 6 months then. Personally, I wouldn't deal with an lfs that proposed that swapping program. That's just ridiculous. I mean, what's the point?

Fishkeeping is about what the fish need, not what we want. Sure, I'd love another shark, but I can't house one properly at the moment, so I don't get one. It's pretty simple really.

Yes so back to the 20 gallon with the beta the red eye tetras the yellow something's and the guppies it is fully cycled and some algae is growing is there a Pleco that will fit in there or should I go with shrimp because it's a sand substraight?

Unless we know what these yellow somethings are it's hard to know if you could fit any pleco in there or not.

Hmm. I do not know what they are, someone else will have to chime in.

Could you please remind me of the number of each fish you have?

Shrimp would be ideal as they have tiny bioloads, but your betta could potentially be aggressive towards them and kill/eat them.

Back
Top Bottom