Since no question is a bad question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pdw1731

Aquarium Advice Activist
I got a couple three of em:

1) what is the difference between a regular tank and one labeled as a breeder? Petco is still running the $1 per gallon tank sale. I'm looking at scooping up a couple just because.

2) let me get this straight; i should use filter floss in my Aquaclear50 in place of the carbon bag? because why? I red that in quite a few places and never understood why.

3) ammo dropping to 0 every 24 hours; no matterif i do a massive pwc or not, nitrItes always skyrocket in 24hrs. This is a good thing meaning that everything is doing ok and i will conitinue to redose ammo unitl i get a 0-0-20/40ish reading........................................right? (I get it, it works...just not like i want it to...grrr)

1. I believe a breeder is versus a tall... same gallons, shorter deeper tank is the breeder.

2. I was advised to use the carbon insert, just not change it, it becomes a substrate for the bacteria just like the bio media... Most here dont like carbon, but it does cut down on any smells and some toxins...

3. You are just waiting for your NO2 bacteria to catch up with your NH3 bacteria, your NO3 levels should steadily rise and one day a week from now, you will test your NO2 and it will be gone... it didnt take it nearly as long as the NH3 bacteria to establish... then test 4ppm dose of ammonia and 24 hours later zeros with NO3

A breeder is shorter in height but wider front to back.

Floss isn't effective unless it is in a canister. I would either change the carbon with your monthly filter cleaning or replace it with more biomedia (I prefer Seachem Matrix, it has more bioavailable surface area then Fluval or Eheim's biomedias).

You keep adding ammonia until within 24 hours both ammonia and nitrite are undetectable (the bacteria are processing both completely). Then do a big water change to bring the nitrate back down to under 20ppm (from wherever it is) and add fish.

As far as the floss...its good to use to polish you water now and then but I wouldn't use it all the time in a HOB filter. Personally, in all my AquaClears, I run a second sponge. That give twice the mechanical filtration and more than enough area for bacteria to grow. Are biomedias good...sure...I guess...but unless you are way overstocked and need every single tiny bacteria you can get in your tank...I don't see the need. THe sponges have worked perfectly for me for years and I generally don't stock lightly in my tanks.

Save the carbon in case you need it to remove meds or other contaminates that might find their way into the tank. Carbon is one of those things you should have on hand.

Thank you all; I now understand about the floss and i may just grab the 40g breeder and a 20g for my daughters room

BTW, the 2ppm reading i'm getting is dropping to >,25 in under 12 hours. YES!! NO2 and NO3 are dropping slowly but sure as I can tell a difference in the colors now...they are actually on the high end of the chart

Back
Top Bottom