Sinibotia's & MissGurnus's various builds!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Feelin jealous... Being a young little fellow my mom wont let me get fish in the mail, especially from "starngers" instead of places like LiveAquaria.com. I want all those fish!!!

~ExoticAquarist, signing out

My mom only let me get fish in the mail a handful of times as a kid, though that was mostly because she thought it was better to see the fish before we bought them. Understand the concern though, stranger danger (y)

Have fun with your new rams MissGarnus and sinibotia! I have 3 of them myself.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Feelin jealous... Being a young little fellow my mom wont let me get fish in the mail, especially from "starngers" instead of places like LiveAquaria.com. I want all those fish!!!

What if it's addressed to her or held at the local post office for pickup? One didn't have Internet or mail order fish really when I was your age. :/ glad I'm an adult even though I live with parents due to their declining health I don't ask anyone anything.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah... For all she knows you guys could send a bomb in the mail instead of fish, or pedophiles that will come spy on us once you get our address... If I ever start breeding though I'll be excited to mail to you (with no return adress)!

Yeah... For all she knows you guys could send a bomb in the mail instead of fish, or pedophiles that will come spy on us once you get our address... If I ever start breeding though I'll be excited to mail to you (with no return adress)!

Ok so here is an idea. Get a po box or go to UPS and get a box. They hold your packages then automatically so they don't sit outside if you aren't home. No one will know your real address then. People on here are very generous and I'm sad that you are missing out. Mom's can be like this though. I wasn't allowed to ride the school bus until middle school because there weren't seat belts.

Lol I'll suggest that to her. Moms can be bad but they are good in the long run.

Lol I'll suggest that to her. Moms can be bad but they are good in the long run.

Unless yours isn't right to begin with then starts losing her faculties and you have to take care of her. Sorry.

Anyhow...
Congrats on the new loaches. I like kuhlis but some reason I picture them uprooting things. I might be wrong on that. They would have a party in my jungle tank though.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Anyhow...
Congrats on the new loaches. I like kuhlis but some reason I picture them uprooting things. I might be wrong on that. They would have a party in my jungle tank though.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I think your rooted plants would be good, but you might have to break out the tooth picks for newly planted foreground plants.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Mornin, broseph. Got some great pics of the gold nugget plec. The rams will eat. It took mine abt 24hrs from arrival. But then they went all fat kid on bloodworms... Lol.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Anyhow...

I've had more issues with MTS moving plants than the kuhlis :rolleyes:

Well, it's become a possibility that MissGurnus and I can't adopt the oscar that we were going to take from the aquaculture research center (biosecurity reasons). Not sure yet, but I wanted to think about other ideas for a 55 gallon tank just in case since we already have the tank and most of the equipment.

Potential veins of thought for stocking:

Big predator:
Basically some kind of big "wet pet" like an oscar. Maybe even just another oscar. Maybe one of the smaller species of bichir? Preferably something that thrives eating fish, because it would be nice to have something to take care of culls for ram/angel breeding endeavors. Also something with a good personality. This would be a species tank.

Discus: I already have angelfish and rams, so I could try discus and complete the trifecta. Then again, after the horrifying collapse of my discus project, I don't know if I want to do discus again. Convince me?

Hillstream/brookstream loaches: Probably my favorite idea, but one that MissGurnus is not nearly as favorable towards. I could get my all-time favorite fish (sinibotia longiventralis) and do a river tank design. But finding the fish for this setup, especially in Maine, would be.... challenging. (Even online, the availability of many of these fish is inconsistant at best).

Angelicus loach spawning attempt: From the very few reports of captive spawning of angelicus loaches, the trick is to have a shoal of them- they spawn in large groups (MORE PROOF that loaches need schools!). So we've been talking about setting up a 55 gallon species tank geared entirely towards these guys, with at least a dozen of them.

Last edited:
Also, I added more plants to the ram tank. They're coming out, moving around and looking beautiful, but the moment I step into the room they fly back into the corner. I added some more fake plants and one real plant to see if they'll be a little less timid.

Right now the tank has all fake plants except for one val stuck in the front corner, but I'm tempted to just stuff the tank with jungle vals. Do ya'll think that a 15 watt flourescent could support that?

11922089_896361903771278_2007208671_n.jpg

Last edited:
Also, I added more plants to the ram tank. They're coming out, moving around and looking beautiful, but the moment I step into the room they fly back into the corner. I added some more fake plants and one real plant to see if they'll be a little less timid.

Right now the tank has all fake plants except for one val stuck in the front corner, but I'm tempted to just stuff the tank with jungle vals. Do ya'll think that a 15 watt flourescent could support that?

My Endlers tank is all vals. It gets indirect afternoon sunlight plus 4-5 hours in the evening of a 15 watt flourescent. I do ferts when I remember :hide:

img_3282466_0_8b1ce4d4611afc1784d200061a33c1b4.jpg

My Endlers tank is all vals. It gets indirect afternoon sunlight plus 4-5 hours in the evening of a 15 watt flourescent. I do ferts when I remember :hide:

img_3282473_0_8b1ce4d4611afc1784d200061a33c1b4.jpg

This tank doesn't get any sunlight. I know jungle vals don't take much light, though. I prefer the look of real plants but hate the work and the fact that they don't last forever (some of the fake plants in the 55 are from tanks I set up 10 years ago)

Id say do the discus. If youve got angels and rams, then youve gotta complete the "Three Kings" trifecta. Although I love the loach idea and I know you love them if you already have so many loaches then it would be good to have something else. Also if you get all loaches then the tank will just be bottom dwellers with no middle swimming fish. Maybe you could do ranchu goldfish?

Back
Top Bottom