Sinibotia's & MissGurnus's various builds!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The female blue angel is pineconing :( My best guess is that it was something viral causing popeye and that it spread to cause dropsy :( Most viruses don't survive long without a host, and the male never showed any issues, so I'm not too worried about the tank itself. But we're pretty upset about the poor girl :(

Female blue angel is pineconing :( I think it was some kind of internal infection causing the popeye, and then it spread to cause dropsy. Likely viral :(
This is often the case if the 'popeye' is not an injury.

Unfortunately for our fish by the time we recognize what we call swelling some internal damage has already taken place and is still at this time getting worse.

I "recovered" a female ram that popeye from male aggression with potassium peramaganate.
She 'recovered'in under a week, but still died a couple months later from unknown issue?
Not many want to hear a death is really all the better..

Bacterial infections | The Skeptical Aquarist

Good read really and worth keeping around.
Sorry about your angel man.

The female blue angel is pineconing :( My best guess is that it was something viral causing popeye and that it spread to cause dropsy :( Most viruses don't survive long without a host, and the male never showed any issues, so I'm not too worried about the tank itself. But we're pretty upset about the poor girl :(

I lost a Betta to dropsy this week. I was doing my best to help him fight but in the end I was sort of relieved when he passed. It was terrible to watch. Sorry to hear about your angel, she's a beauty.

So I realized the other night when all the spawning-related behavior happened I had turned off the heater+powerfilter power strip to get an overhead view of the ram eggs and forgot to turn it back on for a while... that may have been what caused all that ruckus. Unplugged their heater again this morning to test that theory... fingers crossed.

That's good. They're being choosy... Which means they're trying to find their sweet spot. Lol.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have a weird theory... Maybe they have a much later programmed internal clock? They always seem to be in the height of spawning activity right around when we're about to go to bed and turn the lights off. Could be that they're used to the lights going out later on them?

I wouldnt mess with much... They need to get comfy in that environment.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

We're leaving the lights on a little later tonight to see if it makes a difference. Otherwise, we're just treating them normally.

I have a weird theory... Maybe they have a much later programmed internal clock? They always seem to be in the height of spawning activity right around when we're about to go to bed and turn the lights off. Could be that they're used to the lights going out later on them?

Often laying,hatching and even birthing of live bearer fish will take place dusk till dawn.
Nature uses this method to protect the fry/eggs and enhance their survival ...

I battled my angles for months.
One breeder said to leave a light on 24/7(not on tank necessarily but in room).
Got wigglers/free swimmers a couple times with lights on and lost them as soon as lights out!

The rams often lay in the late evening and have night light in fish room...

Often laying,hatching and even birthing of live bearer fish will take place dusk till dawn.
Nature uses this method to protect the fry/eggs and enhance their survival ...

I battled my angles for months.
One breeder said to leave a light on 24/7(not on tank necessarily but in room).
Got wigglers/free swimmers a couple times with lights on and lost them as soon as lights out!

The rams often lay in the late evening and have night light in fish room...

I might try that 24/7 light trick.... Haven't needed it for the rams. My ram issues are elsewhere! I've just about covered the bottom with flowerpot dishes... ram girl looks full of eggs again! Fingers crossed.

Today we might pick up some oto cats for the 55... probably gonna be the only inhabitants besides the pair of angelfish.

Back
Top Bottom