Snail question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stacey W.

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What's the difference between mystery snails and apple snails? Also will they eat my plants?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Also will my loaches really eat them. I've heard that some loaches leave them be, or is it just a toss up. I own 3 angelicus botia and 1 yoyo loach.

Anyone out there?

Your Botia will eat any snails you put in there.

Honestly I always thought apple and mystery were the same?

Caleb

Anyone out there?

It appears the snail folks are sleeping. ? Hopefully someone with experience will chime in. Until then, here is a link that may answer your questions: applesnail.net From what I gather, apple snails are larger than mystery snails, "mystery snail" is a catch-all when the species is not exactly known, and they eat plants. Based on their size, they should be safe from the loaches IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It appears the snail folks are sleeping. ? Hopefully someone with experience will chime in. Until then, here is a link that may answer your questions: applesnail.net From what I gather, apple snails are larger than mystery snails, "mystery snail" is a catch-all when the species is not exactly known, and they eat plants. Based on their size, they should be safe from the loaches IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That's the best website for info about these kinds of snails imo. I refer to it anytime I have a question or just to refresh.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks for the replies folks!

Apple snails depending on variety can get to be as big as an apple, hence the name. Mystery snails come in many different colors in the shells as well as the flesh . Their shells can be solid in color or striped and the flesh can vary between light to dark . Some of the smaller varieties of apple snails are called mystery snails. Mystery snails lay clutches of eggs above the water line or underneath the tank top. You can just scrape them off and discard them if you don't want babies. They also need both a male and female snail to make babies, unlike pond snails. Alison

I have maybe inch size mystery snails in with 4 inch yo yo loaches. Every fish (and its dog) initially went for them but it seems to have settled down. The snails are getting merrily about now (although over time I'd put money on the loaches). Actually I think the rosy barbs were more serious about getting them at the start.

The snails crap a lot though! Other thing is that most plants are getting left alone except in the last week they must have decided there was algae on the base of a few stem plants as they look damaged (unless it was the catfish).

Mystery snails are kinda of like pest snails as in only needing one to get a ton and lay eggs under water. I think they also eat plants. But Apple snails are really cool (and most varieties won't eat plants) :p they will breathe air through a tube so you will need to leave about an inch of air space at the top of the tank. Also they need a male and a female to reproduce so if you only get one you won't have a snail explosion. But even if you do happen to get a male and female they lay eggs above water so they are easy to get rid of. Here's a picture of one of my snail's eggs just because ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1441584288.883103.jpg

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom