snails invading my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lady Elizabeth

Aquarium Advice Regular
i have a 50gal tank with 2 albino oscars and 1pleco, i got my gravel from a friend of mine who sold his 100gal. i saw the snails but ignored them, then last night when i entered my room and turn on the light, i was shock cause there's like 50 or more snails crawling up the side of my tank.... one of them are on my oscar's body... there's a lot moving on the gravel below, how do i get rid of them? are they harmful? :( :( :(

Not really harmful, try putting a piece of lettuce in the tank at night. In the morning it should be covered, and remove it. Repeat until the snails are gone. Another thing to try is squishing them open as a good proteain treat. Your oscar will probably love them.

good to hear that... it's my first encounter with aquarium snails and i really don't have any idea what to do with them, as long as they don't harm my oscars i would tolerate them... i will try to feed them the snails. now why didn't i think of that?! great advice roger... :D

Lady Elizabeth said:
then last night when i entered my room and turn on the light, i was shock cause there's like 50 or more snails crawling up the side of my tank....

Sounds like MTS. They come out of the substrate at night and crawl around. That's probably why I've heard raphael catfish will eat them. I have tons of MTS and trapdoor snails and I just leave them be to let them clean my tank. They aren't harmful at all and won't eat plants. MTS are actually very good because they help aerate the substrate.

Back
Top Bottom