soaking driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iamaj

Aquarium Advice Regular
okay i got some driftwood that i am soaking for the aquarium. I got three pieces in a 5 gallon bucket. They have been soaking since sunday. The water was very tinted sunday. I change the water every day. The water is still tinted dark by the time i change it but not as bad. About how long should it take before it stops discoloring the water?

aj

it can take a while depending on the size of the drift wood, try boiling it that will help it sink if it hasnt already and that will help take take out the tannins, it will take a fairly long time of boiling.

If you get too impatient to keep soaking it (like I did :roll: ) and put it in the tank....adding carbon and doing regular water changes helps to take the tint out until it's clear. If not, then soaking and boiling and patience is the way to go!

I kind i head boiling will make the wood bad or something and make it break down. Is this true? if not how long do you boil and junk? the pecies arent that big the bigest is around 10" long and 4" wide

aj

The problem you have with this sort of question is you will get loads of differant opinions, some people agree with boiling and some don't. some will tell you to soak for ages and some will say a few days. It is because we all have our own taste and how things look.
I myself like to see a bit of tannin in the water, plus i think that if you are going for an Amazonian looking tank with lots of plants, neons, cardinals, angels, Discus etc. fish that like the softer waters they will like it as well. But this is only my opinion. If you was to put it into your tank now and you didn't like the colour then you could always put the carbon in and after a few water changes it will lighten even more until you get your desired look.
I am not saying that i am right, i am just giving you another option.

Personally, I only do boiling if it won't sink right away. Boiling for a couple hours takes care of that, but IME, it STINKS. do it outside on the grill if that is an option.

Otherwise I agree with Terry 100%. I like the tannins, and most of my fish are amazonians also.

i think ill just let it soak a bit longer then. I dont want to water colored, i just finally got it cleared up :) And all the peices sink. Ill just give it a week or so longer.

thanks!

Back
Top Bottom