Spawning killifish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheresaM

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a pair of A. australe, pair of F. gardneri, and 8 clown killies. They each have their own tanks, planted (both rooted and floating), sponge filters, great water params. They are fed a variety of dry, frozen, and even live foods. I've seen some spawning behavior from the gardneri but that's it, no eggs, no fry. Am I doing something wrong or is there something I can do to encourage them?

What is the temp and ph in the Gardneri and Australe tanks? Typically they are breed at room temperature with a ph around 6.5-7.0.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What is the temp and ph in the Gardneri and Australe tanks? Typically they are breed at room temperature with a ph around 6.5-7.0.

Their tanks are heated. Gardneri water temp is 73.4 and pH 7.2

The australe pair are at 73.2, pH 6.8

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!

They get a variety of dry, freeze dried, and frozen foods on a regular basis; live when I can get it (although there are shrimp in the tanks so I imagine they're eating shrimp fry as well).

The gardneri tank is basically full of najas grass. The australe tank is more natural...java fern, swords, dwarf sag, moneywort, etc plus floating plants.

Oh Theresa if you succeed with the Australe pleeeease sell me some!

Oh Theresa if you succeed with the Australe pleeeease sell me some!

Will do!

I'm just terribly happy with this pair, and it isn't the lack of spawning. All the research I did said that they're peaceful other than keeping males together. My female however is just plain nasty. I tried keeping them with some micro rasboras, she immediately killed one of them. She terrorizes the shrimp but at least she doesn't kill them. And she's just plain nasty to the male.

I'm putting together another order from Wet Spot (ssh! :whistle:) and seriously considering getting a different pair. I have the following options:

A. splendopleure
A. bivittatum
N. rachovii

It's funny because so many folks here had issues with their gardneri males being nasty or killers but mine has a great personality, reminds me of a betta in colorful pajamas!

If you have to chose between the bivittatum and splendopleure, get the splendopleure. I would get both, chromaphyosemion species are nicer all around than their cousins.

If you have to chose between the bivittatum and splendopleure, get the splendopleure. I would get both, chromaphyosemion species are nicer all around than their cousins.
Thanks, that's what I was leaning towards!

I went out hoping to find some daphnia in some snowmelt ponds, I think I was still a couple weeks early, but I did get a ton of cyclops and the fish are going berserk. I hope I get some spawns from my killies and blue eyes soon.

I went out hoping to find some daphnia in some snowmelt ponds, I think I was still a couple weeks early, but I did get a ton of cyclops and the fish are going berserk. I hope I get some spawns from my killies and blue eyes soon.

Nice! Did a bit of water collecting here today too.

Rehomed the australe pair today, going to fill out the tank they were in with dwarf amber barbs. Still really want to find a second female for my gardneri male...

Back
Top Bottom