Sponge prefilter for aquaclear 30

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

misterpenguin4

Aquarium Advice FINatic
In my 10 gallon shrimp tank I have an aquaclear 30 and I have baby RCS in there so I need a sponge pre filter. I used the Fluval edge prefilter but it restricted the flow alot so I cut out some of the inside and it started working good, with good water flow. But its been like a week or so and the sponge is starting to collapse on itself and restrict the flow again. So my question is: Is there any sponge prefilter for an aquaclear 30/20 (I think they are the same size) that wont restrict the flow or suck up baby shrimp.

Thanks

You could take pantyhose (or something similar), cut the foot out, wrap that around the intake & secure it with a rubber band or fishing line or anything else aquarium safe. That should create less obstruction & keep the shrimp from being sucked in.

You could take pantyhose (or something similar), cut the foot out, wrap that around the intake & secure it with a rubber band or fishing line or anything else aquarium safe. That should create less obstruction & keep the shrimp from being sucked in.

I thought about that, but is there anything that is made for this?

Sorry, I don't know of anything other than the prefilter sponge. I have in the past cut sponge to fit inside the intake tube of my HOB, now I've switched all my 10g & smaller tanks to sponge filters.

Hi, I also run two aquaclear filters, a 30 and a 50. I got my sponges from Amazon, I don't know what kind you are using, but these really let the water through and I have to clean them once a week. If I don't I notice a reduction of water flow. If you are using these sponges, they are black and round, you can cut V shaped wholes into them as long as you know't go through to the intake. When you clean them, do not turn your filter off until you use a knee high, pull it up and around the sponge, then turn off the filter. This way it catches everything. Good luck!

Hi, I also run two aquaclear filters, a 30 and a 50. I got my sponges from Amazon, I don't know what kind you are using, but these really let the water through and I have to clean them once a week. If I don't I notice a reduction of water flow. If you are using these sponges, they are black and round, you can cut V shaped wholes into them as long as you know't go through to the intake. When you clean them, do not turn your filter off until you use a knee high, pull it up and around the sponge, then turn off the filter. This way it catches everything. Good luck!

Can you tell me the name or link?

Back
Top Bottom