Stirring up gravel. . .

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LOL, Brian. Hey I didn't even know you could have a tank with no substrate. So how do you keep plants, decorations, driftwood, etc., from toppling over?

Well Myriam, it's simple. Plants in clay pots. Driftwood with slate bases.
I have a bare bottom 55 gal & 29 gal (discus), and 10 gal (dwarf plecos). No substrate makes it easier to keep the water clean, clean, clean. Basically all the ornaments and things are there for our pleasure, not the fishes.

I also have a 125 gal and 55 gal which are planted tanks. The 125 has an Eco-Complete substrate. Don't ask what I paid for that :roll:

Before my 55 was planted I was very vigorous about gravel vac'ing (with a larger tank it is easier to get to all of the gravel before you have syphoned out too much water) and one time I did get a nitrate spike from stirring up too much, but I immediately did another water change and everything went back to normal. For the most part I had no trouble vacuuming everything at once.

That's what's great about this forum...you learn something new everyday! Now I know all about bare (tank) bottoms, thanks to Brian :mrgreen:

And I'm going to see what that Eco-Complete substrate is all about...

Could you get a net and then stir up the gravel and then collect up the debris

Back
Top Bottom