Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-08-2005, 01:02 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Stock Ideas?

I'm looking for suggestions to complete my tank (for current occupants, see my sig).

Let the suggestions fly!

Old 01-08-2005, 01:09 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

j have you thought of adding a few more cats

Old 01-08-2005, 01:24 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

That's a full tank. Angels need about 10 gals apiece. I'm sure they are small now, but give them room!

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 02:44 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

some cory cats (3-5) wouldn't take up much space, and they generally occupy the bottom of the tank more so they won't bother the angels. Why not also add to your tetras, they are schooling fish.
Old 01-08-2005, 02:54 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Quote:
That's a full tank. Angels need about 10 gals apiece. I'm sure they are small now, but give them room!
I agree with Menagerie. I have 4 angels in a 55 gal tank and they take the whole tank up. With the rest you have in there now, I wouldn't get anymore fish, unless maybe 2-3 cory cats.

Have fun.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 03:30 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

I'd wait and see how things shake out with the angels - most likely what is going to happen is there will be one pair, and they will drive the other two off, at which point the extras will most likely need to be removed. Once you have just an adult pair in there, I'd add to your school of tetras - they really do so much better in schools, maybe 2-3 more of each, plus some more oto cats, as suggested.
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 03:53 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankGirl
I'd wait and see how things shake out with the angels - most likely what is going to happen is there will be one pair, and they will drive the other two off, at which point the extras will most likely need to be removed.
No chance that all 4 are males huh?

Thanks for the help guys. I had realized bringing back the bala's might not be such a good idea (space allotments and such). Once again, asking advice here is the best thing going. I was about to "overstock" the tank because everyone at present is less than 1/1.5" and there seems to be so much room for more
Old 01-11-2005, 10:05 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

I know what you mean about there being room that you want to fill - I started my 55gal with 4 baby angels, the size of a quarter, and they schooled together and it was the cutest thing, and the tank seemed empty, even with some schooling tetras and cory cats and whatnot. I wound up with 2 pairs, lucky me! They chose opposite ends of the tank to spawn. One day, one of the males killed his mate for no apparent reason, and then the other "couple" picked mercilessly on the leftover male because he was "odd man out" and I wound up having to remove him. They were grown by this time, but you see why I caution you about a group of them - once bitten, twice shy!

You could definitely have 4 males, or 4 females for that matter. I don't know of any sure way to tell, maybe if you vent them, but you'll find out before too long.
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 11:07 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Wildlife is so interesting. I had no idea that they would/could get so aggressive during/before/after mating. I guess "Angels" kinda led me into this thought.

I know sexing the angels is almost impossible and I wouldn't really want to know until something actually happens. Right now, they are schooling together like the best of friends and I guess you already know that they are curious and swim up to see you. The fact that my face doesn't frighten them is really special.

Thanks again TG!
Old 01-12-2005, 02:47 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I guess "Angels" kinda led me into this thought.
They are cichlids

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
stock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com