Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rhino

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 40 breeder setup right now that I still am in the process of stocking and wanted to get some input. My filter is a fluval 305. Currently the tank has one dwarf gourami, 4 Kuhli loaches, 1 oto, 1 bamboo shrimp, 3 blood fin tetras (had 6 but had 3 jumpers), and 5 serpae tetras. I am going to add three bloodfins back (with a glass top this time) to fill the school back in, although the bloodfins and serpaes are schooling no problem. Do you think I could add a school of priscilla tetras or harlequin rasboras? Though I may skip on another school and add a female gourami as my lone mail is building lots of bubble nest for nothing. Let's hear some ideas please!

Attachments

• image-131519540.jpg
    image-131519540.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 51
IMO, yes, a school of either of those would be fine behaviorally speaking. Some people prefer to have fewer, larger schools to avoid a chaotic look. But, thats up to you. Introducing a female dg usually enhances the bossy-ness of male dg, so you can certainly do it, just keep an eye on it. :)
I also suggest you add a few more kuhlis and otos. They love each other and they have pretty small bioloads so a few more won't really affect your water parameters.

absolutangel04 said:
IMO, yes, a school of either of those would be fine behaviorally speaking. Some people prefer to have fewer, larger schools to avoid a chaotic look. But, thats up to you. Introducing a female dg usually enhances the bossy-ness of male dg, so you can certainly do it, just keep an eye on it. :)
I also suggest you add a few more kuhlis and otos. They love each other and they have pretty small bioloads so a few more won't really affect your water parameters.

That is good news on the kuhlis I love those goobers. I was going to get 6 of the serpae tetras but the lady they helped before me.... Bought 1...so I need one more to make my school at 6. I think you are right though about to many schools being chaos. I might just build all my schools to 8. If I have read correctly 2 make dwarf gouramis is usually a no go correct?

Often 2 males don't work out, but it honestly totally depends on the individual temperament of the gouramis. Some get along fine in tanks smaller than yours and some will fight in larger tanks. If you want to try it, keep a very close eye on them for nips or bullying. It is possible, but the individual fish will determine if it works for you or not.
8 of each schooler is a good idea. Honestly, you could probably do a few more of each if you wanted to as well. But, 8 is fine too. :)

Back
Top Bottom