stocking a 20 gallon long - looking for inspiration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gheitman

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am rescaping a 20 gallon long tank almost from scratch and am looking for suggestions/inspiration. It has Onyx Sand as the substrate, a dual-tube T-5 light fixture, a sponge filter and will be planted. Beyond those parameters I'm open to almost anything. Right now I'm considering a tank of dwarf rainbowfish such as fork-tailed and/or featherfins since our water is naturally hard. I'm also considering setting it up with some checkerboard cichlids since our LFS just got some in and I can buffer the water to make it softer. I already have an Asian biotope tank with a pearl gourami, some harlequin rasboras (3 male and 2 female) and a pair of zebra loaches. I have another tank that is a South American community with rummynose tetras now and soon will have some Sterbai corys and bristlenose plecos. I also have three tanks of Tanganyikan shell-dwellers so that is covered. Anyone have any suggestions?

I like the small rainbow idea. They are some pretty fish. Dwarf cichlids come to mind, a planted 20 long is perfect for a trio.

I'd probably go with small rainbows (like Gertrude's Rainbow, Threadfin Rainbow, and Dwarf Neon Blue Rainbow) or a breeding tank for Dwarf Cories.

I like the small rainbow idea. They are some pretty fish. Dwarf cichlids come to mind, a planted 20 long is perfect for a trio.

I've had several species of apistos in the past and have even bred A. baenschi in this tank. I plan to get a pair of of A. bitaeniata as the centerpiece for my newly setup 29 gallon tank. I definitely like dwarf cichlids from almost any region. I'm looking for something different though which is why I am considering the rainbowfishes.

Back
Top Bottom