Stocking a new 6 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sponge Bob

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok I need help on stocking a 6 gallon. My mom wants some goldfish but I want other fish, and corys are a yes. What do you guys think would be the better choice?

I want: 2 cories (I have a card for petcetera so anytime I buy 1 fish I get the other completely free meaning I'll get 4 together :D )
Other fishes you guys would think go well with cories ( I want your opinions :) )

My mom wants:
Goldfishes

Any opinions would be nice thanks!

Goldfishes are a no go in a tank that small. They are messy and get real big. If you keep them in that tank you will probably end up considerabley shortening their life from a possible 15+ years to maybe 2 years if you are lucky. Goldfiosh really need a minimum of 10 gallons per fish.

A few cories would be great (get the dwarf varieties of course). I would suggest 3 cories and a male betta. That would look really nice and would be 4 fish altogether. I assume that would work with the card.

You don't want to overstock a tank that size as dangerous levels of ammonia and nitrites will build up fast if there are too many fish.

Yes a betta would go great in that setup (with the cories, I mean). You could also get any kind of tetra, which don't much bigger than an inch. The neon tetras are very pretty.

If your mom is really gung-ho about goldfish, have her read thru here: http://www.goldfishinfo.com/

Nice website devoted to goldfish. Very clear explanations of the whys and hows. Who knows, maybe after reading it she'll decide on a larger tank for the goldies in addition to the 6g *grin*

*edit*
Almost forgot. Also keep in mind well kept goldfish live a LONG time. Avg about 20 yrs. The oldest one was 43!

I agree with the Betta! That is a nice, simple fish to have.

My mom loves the Betta I got for her.

I also agree on the goldfish. They are very dirty, and I just don't like them ;)

Allivymar is right! Maybe your mom wil want a much bigger tank!!! Now that would be GREAT!

A good comprimise might be platys. They give that wonderful colour of a goldfish but don't mind living in a smaller tank. They like more alkaline water but will adapt if given the chance.

Back
Top Bottom