Stocking aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bridge703

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I went to a fish store and the guy told me that I could have a dwarf gourami, 3 Cory catfish, 3 platies, and 2 glofish in a 10 gallon tank. I wasn’t sure since that seems a little overstocked, so I wanted to get some second opinions.

The gourami probably pushes it to far in my opinion.

I should have mentioned that I already have the glofish, gourami, and two of the Cories. I definitely need another catfish but the platies are not necessary.

I was thinking about moving the glofish too. They are a bit aggressive towards each other and they nip at the catfish sometimes.

Which glofish are they? We don’t get them in Aus but they’re just normal fish bred to be coloured?

I should think in a 10 gallon tank depending on dimensions, the gourami and 3 or 4 Corys are fjne. But corys get quite big (depending on species) so might outgrow the tank

A dwarf gourami and maybe 4-5 dwarf corydoras maybe a few nano tetras or rasboras like ember tetras or chili rasboras if you want to push it a little.

You would need to do your water changes and a planted tank would be best to help.

But that's my opinion.

Tetras. I’m not completely sure what kinds of cories they are. One is spotted and the other is a tannish color.

I do water changes weekly. I have a pretty well planted tank.

The problem with a lot of fish is that to get a proper school you need a bigger tank. I agree that 3-4 normal corydoras would probably work for a good while but they can get near 3" at fully grown.

Sound like a bronze and peppered then (please google to confirm as I can’t post pictures). So they will get to be a bit bigger.

Black skirt tetras (from my experience) need a good school and space to escape each other as they nip fins and bully each other.

If you keep good water parameters I’d say 3 or 4 corys and a gourami should be okay.

Yeah. I hoping to get a bigger tank in a few months. I just got my 10g so I need to use that for a little while.

Also, as D-Fish said they need schools of their own kind. I have several species of corys living together but they only school with their own kind.

Look into maybe replacing them with a school of panda corys or similar - or upgrade tanks.

I was told that the cories will school with any other cories.

Yeah. I hoping to get a bigger tank in a few months. I just got my 10g so I need to use that for a little while.

If you’re getting a new tank in the next months, leave the stocking as is and then increase when you have a bigger tank.

I was told that the cories will school with any other cories.

From my experience no. My Albinos sit in a group by themselves, the sterbai sit alone, the pandas sit alone. They’ll swim with each other but don’t really school.

When I go back to the place I went to I will ask the guy what he thinks.

His bossiness is just fish. He seemed very knowledgeable and he knew what he was talking about. When he said that I could get 3 of any schooling fish to go in my tank plus another Cory, I was a little unsure. It’s a good thing I didn’t buy anything today.

Back
Top Bottom