Stocking limit?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eric1212

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 36g bowfront with quite a few plants in it, and aquaclear 50 hob, and a eheim 2215 running. The current fish in the tank are,

-7 red eye tetra
-7 harlequin rasbora
-2 rummynose tetra
-3 peppered Cory's
-21 Amano shrimp

Am I overstocked, do I have room to add anything else, centrepiece fish?

image-4107380350.jpg

Personally I think you have some stocking room for a centerpiece fish for sure. Did you check aqadvisor ? Any idea of what you want.

No idea of what I want, something that gets to about 4 inches or so I think, and isn't going to give the other fish a hard time.

I personally would increase your rummynose to at least 6 and add 2 or 3 more cories. You could do a Pearl, Dwarf, or Honey Gourami as a centerpiece.

+1 on rivercats suggestions. I also think a GBR or Bolivian ram could work well also

I would go to aqadvisor.com and look. It will tell you if your fish are compatible and if you are able to add more fish or if it is over stocked. This should help. :D

Aqadviser is a good starting point but I wouldn't take it as gospel. I agree with Rivercats. You need to address the incomplete schools before considering other fish.

I've always heard 1 fish per gallon of water, have to consider their adult size though ( with exceptions of goldfish) .

I've always heard 1 fish per gallon of water, have to consider their adult size though ( with exceptions of goldfish) .

There are far too many factors to take into consideration for the one per gallon rule to work. Aggression, schools, swimming level, territories, dietary requirements, temperature needs, etc.

Back
Top Bottom