stocking question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mpuskar

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I've been a long time Lurker, but this is my first post. I currently have a 10, 20, and 100 gal freshwater tanks. I'm trying to stock my newly cycled 100g. Currently I have in it 4 black neon tetra, 4 Serpa tetra, 4 red eye tetra, 4 red n blue tetra, and 4 long fin blue danios. My final goal is to add 2 angels, 2 bala sharks, 2 Cory's, and possibly 4 gourami (undecided on specific type just yet). Is this a good reasonable plan for this tank? Is everyone going to live happily ever after? Any advice or suggestions welcomed. Thanks :fish1:

Last edited:
I will definitely say no balance sharks. They get huge and would probably eat your smaller fish

My suggestion would be to properly stock your existing schools. Tetras should be in groups of 8 or more in order to be happy and for you to truly observe the species behavior. So, up your schools, then we'll talk about what else to have. :cool:

you are supposed to keep bala sharks in groups of five or more, and i dont think a 100 gallon tank is large enough for 5 fully grown bala sharks (10-14 inches each). plus they might eat the small tetras.

I think it might be a good idea for you to research all the species you have and are interested in having so that you can find out compatibility, size, temperament, school size, etc.

We can give you opinions til the cows come home, but as a fishkeeper, the responsibility still falls on your shoulders. ;)

Fill out the tetras to 8 and get at least 5-6 corys. Make sure the tetras arent small enough to be angel food

Thank you for the replies. The more I read about the balas, I have decided they definately are not the best way to go, although some sites say they will be fine in anything over a 75...and I originally thought the tetras needed 8-12 but the one fish store I went to, not a chain store, said 4 would do just fine...however I'm going to take your all advice and up the schools afrerall. Since most the tetras are one to two inches in size...what would be a good larger fish to add as a centerpiece fish..are angels and gouramis OK?

Yea angels and gouramis would be good! What about german blue rams?? Maybe a pair or teo of those also. For the botton, maybe a featherfin catfish or bn plecos along with those coriea

Thank you for the replies. The more I read about the balas, I have decided they definately are not the best way to go, although some sites say they will be fine in anything over a 75...and I originally thought the tetras needed 8-12 but the one fish store I went to, not a chain store, said 4 would do just fine...however I'm going to take your all advice and up the schools afrerall. Since most the tetras are one to two inches in size...what would be a good larger fish to add as a centerpiece fish..are angels and gouramis OK?
Hello, glad you decided to come out of the shadows. Lol.
Some schooling fish are ok in gourps of 4, but the red-eyes and serpaes are not. They tend to be nippy and a bit nasty if kept in small schools. Good to know you are up-ing the school numbers. I am not sure what a blue and red tetra is. Is it a neon?
Anyway, angels are best kept with tankmates that are 2 inches or more or else spade shaped to avoid the little guys becoming dinner. Some people successfully keep angels with tiny fish when they raise them all together, but it still usually ends up with the angels eventually eating the little guys. Gouramis would be good. Opaline, blue, and gold gouramis are all lovely. So are the pearl gouramis.
Truthfully, you have a ton of options for a tank that big.:) I have kept white skirt hi fin tetras, and they are beautiful. They school and have longish fins. They remind me of angels, but don't get as big so you dont have to be as choosy about tankmates.

The red and blues are also knows as red and blue Columbian tetra.
I'm going to look into the German blue rams, thanks for the suggestion

Back
Top Bottom