Stocking Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pawtrekker

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 20 gallon tank that has been set up for about 2 months now. Let me say first that I did TONS of research before I bought ANY of my fish and I did cycle my tank before I added them. Anyways, I am thinking of adding a few more but I don't want to overstock my tank. All my readings are normal, my ammonia is at 0 right now, and my current stocking is:

1 Dwarf Gourami
1 Bolivian Ram (They get along fine together)
3 Neon tetras (want to get more)
4 Green Cories
1 Albino Cory
6 or 7 Ghost Shrimp
2 Ottos
:fish2::fish2::fish2:
I realize I may have too many cories but they all seem to be fine. If I really need too I can probably move a few cories to a 10 gallon tank that I will hopefully get soon. I wanted to add at least 2 or 3 more Neons other than that I'm not sure what else I could add. I plan on getting a Bristlenose Pleco and giving the Ottos to a friend of mine. What do you guys think? Too much? Can I add more? What can I add? I would love some input!

Thanks! :)

Keep the otos and scratch getting a bristlenose. Maybe move a few cories around but other than that..I think you're pretty set.

Ditto, keep the oto's and nix the pleco. The oto's are much better suited in size for your tank. If you get more neons I really wouldn't add much more. You could get you BR a mate if you have plants in the tank but otherwise IMO I think your good as you are.

Oh just so you know, ghost shrimp can be very territorial and it is not uncommon for the biggest dominant one to kill the others off and make the tank his (or hers). There is a woman at the vets office who breeds them and I actually found that tidbit of info out from her after my daughter added several to a 30 gallon tank she had. The last man, I mean shrimp standing was a happy camper once he had the tank all to himself.

You can try the shrimp, they are only 30 cents a piece and so if they die you are only out 2.50, but I think that your gourami and ram will go after the shrimp.

What's wrong with a BN Pleco? I've done lots of research on them and I thought one would be fine in my 20 gal. Honestly, I only got the ottos because I was getting lots of alge growing in my tank and needed a quick fix until I could get a BN pleco. I can never find any in stock at the LFS. I have seen a lot of people suggest a BN pleco to other aquarists with similar sized tank and I guess I'm just wondering why I shouldn't have one? I'd really like to have one if I can.

I understand that. I will either move the Ottos into my 10 gallon or give them to a friend of mine who could use a good alge eater. I never planned on keeping both the ottos and the pleco together. I was just wondering why people thought I shouldn't get the pleco and keep the ottos.

:thanks: Okay, thank you both! I think that pretty much answers my question about the BN pleco.

Does anyone think I should get a few more (2 or 3) Neons? Or will the three I have in there now be fine?

Pawtrekker said:
:thanks: Okay, thank you both! I think that pretty much answers my question about the BN pleco.

Does anyone think I should get a few more (2 or 3) Neons? Or will the three I have in there now be fine?

Definitely up the school of neons. They will do much better if there are at least six of them.

The Cories need to be bumped up to four, but with what you've got and what you want to add , then I doubt you'll have room. They can get very sad and die of loneliness.

Back
Top Bottom